Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

The error code I am getting is  0xEFFFFF23, which means no boot media available.  I tried your solutions to no avail.  Others are reporting the same problem with the motherboard ID 80E6 and the new bios.  HP has a history of whitelisting certain components in their BIOS. 

HP Recommended

Just out of curiosity, have you tried booting from a Repair Disk [CD]?  Seems like a Repair Disk should have boot media.

HP Recommended
I know this forum is about done, but just to confirm, i am running an m.2 sata evo 850 250 gb, along with a 850 evo 500gb ssd and an seagate laptop sshd 1tb drive. All are working flawlessly. I had to eventually reinstall windows 10 just so I can get that fresh feel to windows and my new drives.

My specs are:
17.3-inch diagonal Full HD WLED-backlit IPS Display (1920x1080)
•16GB DDR3 - 2 DIMM
•1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
•6-cell 62WHr Lithium-ion Battery
•Intel 802.11ac WLAN and Bluetooth(R) [2x2]
•Backlit Keyboard
•SuperMulti DVD burner
•6th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ Processor Quad-Core + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4GB Discrete Graphics(for 3D Camera)
•Intel RealSense(TM) 3D Camera with Dual Digital Microphone, Fingerprint Reader
•Windows 10 Home 64

I obviously took out the hdd, and put the ssd for boot, sshd for 2nd bay (using newmodus 2nd hdd/ssd cable & caddy/ search amazon for them, i paid 44.75), and the m.2 in the m.2 slot( i wanted to do a hackintosh, but Cant figure it with my system, so Vmware instead ^_^

I posted some pictures below:
https://imgur.com/a/vgiBf

Hopefully this can finally help you guys!
My cpu was made april 25th
HP Recommended
Oh yea, my model
Hp Envy 17t-n100
HP Recommended
Dude I love your set up. I just got the HP envy 17t n100 and I believe that's what my back will look like. (still waiting for it in the mail). Now if I want to add a 500gb SSD M2 to it instead of the 256 SSD. Was this easy? I mean I could technically clone the Old SSD's OS to one of the HDDs then Clone it back to to my new SSD no problem right?
HP Recommended
Yes, it is easy and no problem, However be careful, if you want the ssd to be your boot drive. What I did when I first got the laptop, i immediately switch the SSD with the HDD drive that came with the computer. It took me a day to realize that I could not install windows yet. Everything I try. You have to install windows and do the installation process on the original drive first, then I recommend copying over The contents from the HDD to your new SSD if you want that to be your new boot drive ( highly recommend it SSD to be your boot drive, its so much faster. ), Then you can finally run Windows on the SSD. After that you can wipe the other drive if you like. Or reinstall windows if you want that fresh feel. I reinstalled windows because even though I copied over the data to the ssd, The recovery partition did not work correctly. I suggest reinstalling windows, and then use a third-party to install a recovery disk on ssd drive.

Also, the cooling is no problem as well. All three drives stay under 40° even in regular usage. The only drive that gets a little high M.2 Sata drive, and it only goes up to like 45-50 under heavy usage.

It has been 1 month and i absolutely love this powerful machine, I just wish the graphics card was more powerful ( like a 970). But 950 gets the job done!

Also i just wanted 256 gb because i wanted to use that space for the apple partition. All you gotta do is plug it in and you pc automatically recognizes it. If you get a samsung ssd or m.2, i recommend samsung magician software, that would optimize you experience!
HP Recommended

My Model 17t-n100, Dual HDD, i7-6700HQ, GTX 4Gb.  purchased May 2016

The only compatible M.2 form factor is going to be a SATA-III interface (B Type Key) more than likely the stick will have a double notch  on the connector end. You cannot use an PCIe or NVMe in that port.

The Pins on the connector on the B key side (notch side) are 5 on the bottom face and 6 on the top face.

PCIe and NVMe are 4 bottom and 5 top face.

If you have it open to inspect it get some light in the socket and count the number of pins in the socket.

I purchased the Samsung 950 Pro as a gamble before having the machine and its a NO GO the pins do not align I just returned it and ordered what i needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-850-EVO-Internal-MZ-N5E500BW/dp/B00TGIW1XG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=146...

Now I will wait for it to get to my place tomorrow and give it another go.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I reside in Canada and have a similar HP ENVY 17 laptop (model: 17-n178ca, link: http://www8.hp.com/ca/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=9112085).

I too got the laptop with only the 1 TB HDD and have been considering an upgrade to an M.2 type SSD. But with so many different connectors and sizes for M.2 type drives, I am confused about the right one that will be supported by my system.

Based on the replies in this thread, I narrowed my options down to a Transcend 256 GB SATA III 6GB/S MTS800 80mm M.2 SSD Solid State Drive (model: TS256GMTS800, link: https://www.amazon.ca/Transcend-MTS800-Solid-State-TS256GMTS800/dp/B00KLTPUYG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_37?...).

I would like to know if this SSD would work with my system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Your choice seems the to be the right one. If you have removed the bottom cover and see a M.2 slot with the key to the top side (cooling fans away from you for the most part) you more than likely have a SATA III interface. So your link and other similar SSD that specify SATA III will work. If it is on the bottom side you may have the ability to use a NVMe M.2 that offer better performance.

I have a 17t-n100 with upgraded M.2 Samsung Evo drive and my internal layout is like in the pictures another memeber from here posted. My laptop looks exactly like the one in the link you posted. Scroll to the bottom to see the M.2 placement.

https://imgur.com/a/vgiBf

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply SerSx1.

After doing some checking on the internet, I found that HP has several model number configurations for the HP ENVY 17 laptop (2015 model). The 17t-n100 and 17-n178ca are just two of the many models that HP makes for North America.

With the newer 2016 mid-range ENVY 17 laptops, they seem to have a lot less models, but the configurations don't seem upto standard (they are actually underpowere compared to the older ones).

I got most of your post, escept for the "key" part. Does that mean how the M.2 SSD will fit (top side visible or vice-versa). I have not opened up my laptop yet, based on your reply, I did purchase the Transcend M.2 type SSD.

Will it work in my laptop even if the slot accepts PCIe and NVMe types?

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.