Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Notebook

I have been using the fingerprint sensor to login for the past 6 months.  However, all of a sudden, today I am unable to login with my fingerprint or pin.  But was able to login with my microsoft password.  The error kept stating that they cannot recognise my fingerprint.  After i tried to key in my PIN, the error instead said I had to setup the fingerprint login before I can use that function, which of course I have done so, thats why i could login using fingerprints for 6 months up until yesterday.  

I did not download anything significant yesterday, only downloaded various files uploaded by my school.  My McAfee antivirus  seems to be fully functioning.  I've restarted the laptop, and there was no change.

Therefore I logged in, removed fingerprint access, added fingerprint access, which they also asked me to 'make a PIN' which i obviously have had a PIN beforehand.  Completed the PIN making and fingerprint access, shut down the computer, restart it, and i cant login again with fingerprint or PIN.  However, i login with password and go to settings and realise the fingerprint access is still activated.

Hope you will be able to assist me in this issue.  Thank you

EDIT: I was able to remove my PIN once again, then recreated another PIN.  I can now login with that PIN.  However, I am unable to add fingerprints anymore, as they told me to key in my PIN number, and the fingerprint dialogue box disappears completely after that

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@cats_and_corgi

Uninstall the BIOMETRIC driver from the Device Manager and reboot the computer.  The Driver should reinstall itself as the system boots and you log in.

Other Ideas

See: PIN does not work and will not let me sign in to Windows 10

Ensure your Windows Updates have run recently (and that the system has been rebooted)

Switch off Fast Boot, at least temporarily

and

Reboot the system from a stop condition (off)

Odd things can happen if your HP Drivers are not up-to-date

Depending on your current Operating System and your particular computer model, it might be time to update the BIOS on your system.  Do NOT let the HP Support Assistant update the BIOS.  Open the driver page for your product > select your Operating System (if needed) > look for a BIOS update.  Read all the instructions and do not update the BIOS while on battery.

Check the Reliability Report to find out what the system has been doing

• Reliability Report

Although this cool reporting tool has been around for quite a while, it might be overlooked because it is hiding in an unlikely spot in the Operating System.

Windows 7: Control Panel > set icon view > Action Center >

Windows 10:

Control Panel > set icon view > Security and Maintenance >

Under Maintenance > Open the Drop Down Menu >> Click on View Reliability Report

If there are any obvious errors, misconfigurations that did not untangle, or oddities, check further to see if the "mishaps" might be related.

Information at a glance > Reliability Report

When you see a Post that helps, inspires, provides fresh insight,

or teaches you something new, click the Thumbs Up on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur

Thank you so much for your kind and patient reply.  Truly appreciate your efforts in trying to assist me in this situation.  I have tried out all the suggestions you have provided me, but none of them yielded results.  Hope you will be able to offer me more suggestions if possible, as the problem is still not solved.  Thank you for your time and patience.

Uninstall Biometric Driver:

I have done so, and rebooted the computer after a shutdown.  The driver automatically reinstalled, but there was still no change to the situation as I was still unable to add fingerprints. 

Windows Update:

There was no notification or alert reminding me of a windows update that I have yet to complete, so I assume it is up to date. Moreover, the last windows update didn't recall too long ago based on my own memory.

Fast Boot:

I dont really know how to switch off the fast boot... Sorry...

Bios Update:

I went to the driver page for the fingerprint sensor (Biometric device), and found no Bios update.  However there was a manual option to 'Update driver' and I did.  After updating, I shut down the laptop, before turning it on again.  There was no change.

Reliability Report:

I have investigated the reliability report for the day this event occurred, and these showed up under critical events.

-It showed 9 replicates of 'Windows Hello Setup' that has 'Stopped working', and I assume this is due to my continuous efforts in trying to create the fingerprint login.  I Have tried to 'Check for a solution' under the Action, but there were no solutions available.

-There was 1 report of 'Intel Security True Key' that has stopped working too, and also no solutions available.

-There was nothing really significant under critical events on the days prior to this incident, except for a recurring 'McAfee Synchronisation Application' that 'Stopped working' for everyday in the past few months. 

HP Recommended

@cats_and_corgi

Product Number unknown / not provided

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

Things to Try

Fast Start / Fast Boot

Fast Boot option is available on some newer notebooks.  When you are having installation and / or configuration issues, it sometimes helps to switch off Fast Boot / Fast Start (at least temporarily).

Consumer Notebooks manage Fast Boot / Fast Start in Control Panel > icon view > Power Options > Control what the power buttons do > Change settings that are currently unavailable

Help:

Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

Uninstall > Delete > Install Fingerprint Driver

If removing and auto-resinstalling the Biometric Driver does not work, then try:

• Download and save the latest Synaptics / Validity Driver from your computer's Driver Support Home
  • Uninstall AND Delete the Biometric Driver from the Device Manager
  • Shut down the computer > wait 10 seconds > Boot the computer and log in
  • Install the downloaded Driver
  • Restart the computer and log in

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

Hard Reset

Consider performing Hard Reset / Forced Reset to force the computer to load Drivers and Programs from the "on disk" Operating System.

"Hard Reset" is a device reset and does NOT remove / damage your files or your Operating System

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

No Joy?  Reset the PIN (after the Hard Reset):

How to Reset the PIN for your Account in Windows 10

Fancy_Lines_3.jpg

Commentary

I do not process experience with Intel True Key software.

Intel True Key is an installed Password Manager program -- see the software support pages for help if the program stops working and cannot recover.  

If the issues with your Windows fingerprint / PIN logon surfaced at the same time you installed the True Key software, then the two issues might be related.

If the issues with Windows fingerprint / PIN logon surfaced (started) at the same time that the True Key software first glitched, the two issues might be related.

If the True Key program repair option is available, use Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features > Right click on the True Key software > select Repair

Side-Bar

Most Password Manager software uses an encrypted database to keep track of websites and passwords -- do not remove the Password Manager software (program) from the computer without having first made a backup of the database.  The method used to back up / export the data varies by software -- see your True Key program and look for "Export" or "Backup" options.

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

The Reliability Report "look for solution" has never, to my knowledge, provided a fix.  

Use the report to delve more deeply into issues as described in the how-to pages (previous post) or just use the Report as a check-point - "this is what is going on".  

If none of this makes sense, just ignore the program.

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

BIOS update is not part of the Device Manager.

BIOS update should only be applied when necessary to resolve problems.  The update action should be performed manually -- never let the HP Support Manager update your computer BIOS -- always have the notebook plugged into AC power (not on battery) and follow all instructions.

If there is no recent BIOS update listed in your computer Support Home then ignore the idea.

Most consumer notebooks enable the fingerprint hardware by default -- there is no control in the BIOS for these systems.

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

I don't use McAfee >> I do not have information on McAfee Synchronisation Application issues.

If you can do so, since the sync function is not working, Open your McAfee software and look for logs or information on the subject.

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

If I have anything else to offer, I will post back.

When you see a Post that helps, inspires, provides fresh insight,

or teaches you something new, click the Thumbs Up on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.