Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy Bang & Olufsen Notebook M5L32EA#ABU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Like I say those particular keys are not working. Seems a common problem with HP laptops after doing a Google search and often the same keys. Cannot find a solution though. Please help.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

For future reference, you own a HP Envy 17-n065na notebook.

That is the identification you need to supply whenever you would like some assistance.

Use the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics utility to test your keyboard.

From an off state:

Press the power button and immediately tap the F2 key.

That should invoke the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics utility.

Click on Component tests and then keyboard.

Run the test.

Keys not working is not a "common problem with HP laptops".

That is a common result when people inadvertently spill something of a liquid nature that contains sugar, on a keyboard or something gets beneath the edges of keys. Eating something like potato chips over a laptop can cause a keyboard problem.

Is your notebook still in warranty?  The factory warranty is valid for a one year period.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I tried that with the HP diagnostics. The keys as mentioned did not highlight. But it still came up with nothing and I had no choice but to exit. I make a point of never eating or drinking around my laptop so that can't be the case. Very strange that I've seen the exact same problem from other people with HP's - same keys. Something has to be amiss here! HP laptops appear as the culprits, hence I'd regard that as a common problem. No it isn't in warranty.

HP Recommended

I am also facing same issue with my laptop. B, N , 7 keys don't work. Tried many solutions but none worked so far. For now I have remapped my keys as these keys are very important for me.

HP Recommended

Any solutions yet. I removed cmos battery and this was a temporary fix but it didn't take long and same issue again. Nothing been spilled on the keyboard. 

HP Recommended

I also have the same problem, and whatever the problem it is, it is NOT debris under the keys, as I have actually pried off the offending keys and they are clean underneath. Also, it doesn't happen all the time, for example if I'm posting a comment on a blog they seem to work fine, but if I'm writing an email or posting on Facebook they don't. I did try to uninstall my keyboard and re-install it and it worked for awhile but the problem came back.

The keys can usually be made to work if I strike them hard enough or hold them for a long time (as I'm doing to type this).

In addition to the b, n, 7, ad caps lock that have already been mentioned, also the / on the numeric keypad as well as my delete key.

HP Recommended

@WadeH
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).
  • What is the operating system?
  • Have you tried using an external keyboard?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.