Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15da1041tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have purchased 500gb  samsung 970 evo plus nvme ssd and there's also a 1tb hard disk. The system is currently booting normally from the nvme ssd however when i get into Bios, there are two options for drive i guess, which are RAID and AHCI. It is currently running in AHCI MODE however I have read somewhere that AHCI is a protocol used for older hard disks or SATA SSDS Also, when I enter the boot priorities menu, there is no NVME OPTION showing.Please help me change the bios protocol from ahci to nvme and clarify my doubts 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

What you wrote in your reply is 100% correct.

Your NVMe drive is using the Standard NVM Express Controller as shown in the screen shot below (Storage Controllers)

Your 2.5" hard drive is using the SATA AHCI controller as shown in the screen shot below (IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers).

Your SSD is working on NVMe protocol and your 2.5" drive is working on the SATA AHCI protocol and there are no changes required.

You couldn't make any changes anyway since the settings are not able to be changed due to the limited BIOS settings your notebook has.

Just enjoy it the way it is because it is running 100% the way it should be.

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1616158375721.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your NVMe drive should be using a separate NVMe controller, which you should see listed under a Storage Controllers device manager category.

AHCI is for your notebook's 2.5" SATA drive.

HP Recommended

So u mean nvme ssds dont require any other bios setting other than boot priority.Nvme ssd uses a controller listed in storage controller in device manager like microsoft storage space controller or intel chipset Sata/Pcie Rst premium is that what u are saying??.But my question was how to  confirm which protocol (AHCI OR NVME) my ssd is using and if its using AHCi how to change it.So if go by your words my ssd is working on nvme protocol and i dont need to change anything in bios and that Ahci option in bios is for my internal hard drive (1Tb).Please clarify i really want to confim.

HP Recommended

What you wrote in your reply is 100% correct.

Your NVMe drive is using the Standard NVM Express Controller as shown in the screen shot below (Storage Controllers)

Your 2.5" hard drive is using the SATA AHCI controller as shown in the screen shot below (IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers).

Your SSD is working on NVMe protocol and your 2.5" drive is working on the SATA AHCI protocol and there are no changes required.

You couldn't make any changes anyway since the settings are not able to be changed due to the limited BIOS settings your notebook has.

Just enjoy it the way it is because it is running 100% the way it should be.

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1616158375721.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.