Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Cleaning keys

HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion X360 laptop 14 inch 2-1 running intel i5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

here's my problem.  I spilled orange juice near my laptop and some of it splashed up on the keyboard.   I now have a half dozen keys that work but are not nearly as responsive as they used to be.   It seems I have three options - 

1. put up with it.   I'm typing this to you and it works - maybe the sticky would eventually wear off.

2. take it to Best Buy or someplace that fixes HP machines and have them remove and clean those keys?

3, Remove, clean, and reinstall myself?  if this option, does someone have a map/instructions, etc. on how to do that?

Any other thoughts?  Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
23,461 23,401 2,163 5,096
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@TJ127 

Laptop keys are not designed to be removed without being broken in the process.  So, if Best Buy removes them, they probably will NOT be able to get them back on and working again.

What you really need to do is the following:

1) Totally remove the keyboard

2) Wash it in hot soapy water with a solvent (like Dawn) that will remove the residue from the juice

3) Let the keyboard dry out -- three days is the minimum -- and then reconnect it.

Because keyboards are fragile, as are their connectors, you would do best paying someone to both remove it and reconnect it.  I known that sounds expensive, but at least you're not paying for a new keyboard in the process.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation