Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY m4 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I installed some software on my HP ENVY m4 Notebook PC, and now when I insert a disk, the disk spins, but nothing opens or begins playing. The File Explorer program does not locate the drive either.  When I go into Device Manager, it lists hp CDDVDW SU-208BB under DVD/CD-ROM drives, but shows a triangle exclamation point.  When I click Properties, it shows the following Device status:

Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)

So far I have tried the following:

- did a system restore, but it said that it was unsuccessful.  I tried again, and it told me that "No restore points have been created on your computer's system drive."  When I go into Settings > Recovery, the Go Back to an Earlier Build option says "This option is no longer available because your PC was upgraded more than 10 days ago."

- in Device Manager, I right clicked on the drive to uninstall, then restarted.  No luck.

- uninstalled the new software, then restarted.  No luck.

My product number is C2M81UA#ABA and model number is HP ENVY m4 Notebook PC.  The Operating System is Windows 10 Home 64-Bit.

Any help you can offer is much appreciated.  Thank you,

Amanda

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey there! @AKWestwood, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you are getting code 52 error on your PC and the DVD drive is not functioning.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Please try the steps recommended below to delete upper and lower filters on your PC.

Click Start and then click All Programs.
Click Accessories, and then click Run.
Type regedit, and then click OK.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.
On the Edit menu, click Delete.
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately, this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
Exit Registry Editor.
Restart the computer.

Please let me know the outcome.

Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hey there! @AKWestwood, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you are getting code 52 error on your PC and the DVD drive is not functioning.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Please try the steps recommended below to delete upper and lower filters on your PC.

Click Start and then click All Programs.
Click Accessories, and then click Run.
Type regedit, and then click OK.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.
In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately, this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
Exit Registry Editor.
Restart the computer.

Please let me know the outcome.

Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.