Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15-ck008no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

Product: HP Pavilion - 15-ck008no

Specs: i5 8250u, MX150

I just bought a new laptop, after a couple of days I notice some strange high pitched "crackling" sounds coming from my laptop, after some searching around my conclusion is Coil Whine.

The sound is high, annoying and at its worst when I set the power option to 'High performance' and the power adapter is plugged in. The sound comes and goes, but its there 80% of the time

The sound could be described as more constant when I for example move the pointer around on the screen or scrolling down a web page, but it is more of a crackling sound at "idle".

I hope there is a fix for this, because it should not should like this, at least I hope not.

Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@AndyPe

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

This is a great place to get support, find answers to your technical queries.

I understand that you are getting a loud noise from the computer, need not worry I'll be glad to assist you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you tried any updates on the computer?

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Yes, both windows and drivers are up to date. 

HP Recommended

@AndyPe,

I am the The_Fossette. It looks like you were interacting with @Raj1788, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here. 

I recommend you update the bios on the computer from the below link and check if it resolves the issue.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

If you continue to face the issue, please let me know whether the noise is coming from the system fan?

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for coming back to me.

I have the latest bios installed. No, it is not coming from the fan

HP Recommended

@AndyPe,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

Follow the below steps and check if it resolves the issue.

Go to Windows Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers section.
In the list of audio device drivers, look for your audio device.
Right-click and select Disable. The downward arrow displays on this driver, indicating it is disabled. (NOTE: At this point, you won’t be able to play any music files.)
Right-click and select Update Driver Software.
Select Browse my computer for driver software.
Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
You should see a window that says Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware. NOTE: If you see a window that says something like This is the best driver for this device, exit the window and repeat steps 4, 5, and 6.
In the Model box, highlight High Definition Audio Device (this is the substitute audio device driver) and click Next.
At the Update Driver Warning window, click Yes. You should see a confirmation window with
High Definition Audio Device displayed. Click Close.
In the list of audio device drivers in the Sound, video and game controllers section, you’ll notice that the High Definition Audio Device now displays instead of Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio.
At the prompt to reboot, click Yes.

If the issue still persists try the steps recommended below.

Is the loudness equalization off? If not, please:
Right, click the speaker icon
select 'Playback Devices'. 
Highlight the default device
Click Properties
Click Enhancements tab
Next to 'Loudness Equalization' take out the check mark in the box.
Click Apply
Click OK

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I changed audio driver to High Definition Audio Device, rebooted, still coil whine. The sound was gone tho, so I changed it back to Realtek since it did not do anything for my issue. 😞

Loudness is not on.

Thanks for helping me 🙂

HP Recommended

@AndyPe,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I am sending you a private message suggesting next course of action.

Please check your private message icon in the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.