Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre 360 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

I just got the Spectre 360 15 inch and the spacebar didn't work unless I hit it hard in the center. I also went to a Best Buy and the demo did the SAME THING. I also have the previous generation Spectre 360 (13 inch), and the spacebar works perfectly. I chose the 15f as my new work laptop because I absolutely love my 13 inch. I am the marketing manager for a large manufacturer in the audio video industry and write/edit 100s of articles, product copy and web updates. It is CRUCIAL that my keyboard work flawlessly and I need to know this 'known issue' is fixable or move to a new Dell or Surface.

That said, the laptop went through a WIndows update last night, and this morning the spacebar seems to be working MUCH better (not 100%, but close). Not sure if the update had anything to do with it, but I can't risk this issue returning.

Any feedback?

- Trey

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@JHRIII

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

As I Understand the space bar doesn't work as it normally should,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help you, although, to provide an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern: 

Is the key working with a delayed response? or is it that the key was physically stuck until you recently did the update and coincidentally fixed the key?

Did you attempt to disable the sticky and filter keys to resolve delayed responses?

While I await your reply, here's a few steps you may attempt:

If there is a short delay from the time a key is pressed to the time the character displays on the screen, the Filter Keys function might be activated. The Filter Keys function provides a greater range of key press options to fine-tune key delays and prevent inadvertent key presses. To disable Filter Keys and return to the default keyboard behaviour, use the following steps:

1. Click Start, and type keyboard in the Search box. Then select Change how your keyboard works under Control Panel.

2. Remove the selection from Turn on Filter Keys. Then click Set up Filter Keys.

3. Remove the check next to Turn on Filter Keys when SHIFT is pressed for eight seconds.

4. Click Apply, click OK and then close the Ease of Access Center.

The keys should be more responsive.

If the key appears to be physically stuck at times: CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS AND STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS

Keep me posted,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey, did you get anywhere with this?

I havethesame issue.

I'm touch typing as always butthespace isntworkin unless you hititreallyhardin the middle.... which is unusable.

As demo'd above!!

Any ideas??

HP Recommended

Anyone gotten any resolution?  I just returned a new spectre 360 15" that had the same problem.  It was an "open box" purchase. Tech at Best Buy believed it to be a hardware problem and suggested I just return it and get something else. Did not seem interested in looking for a fix. I struggle to believe that such a high end laptop would have such a design flaw. I have not found another in town to compare. Rather frustrating as I really liked the machine but non responsive spacebar made typing a unacceptable chore. 

HP Recommended

Just purchased the Spectre 360 15, and the space bar is definitely not as sensitive as it should be. Most of the time it works, but about every 10th time I hit it, it doesn't register.  Is there a way to adjust this?

The HP solution posted above is not helpful, as it requires you to make the entire keyboard more sensitive. The rest of the keyboard is fine and does not need adjustment.

I had to go back and fix five places where the space did not register in this post.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.