Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Compaq 6730
Linux

Hello All,

My notebook has an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5670 @ 1.80GHz.

Is there any chance to be upgrade?

Many thanks,

Mario

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There would be no compatibility problem at all.

I missed that the T9400 processor was listed. 

Usually the fastest processors at listed at the top of the list, not buried in the middle.

The Mobile Intel GM45 chipset supports processors with 1066-MHz FSBs.

Just make sure your notebook has the mobile Intel GM45 chipset and not the GL40.

Use the free utility that I zipped up and attached below to find out the chipset spec.

The GL40 chipset only supports processors with up to an 800 MHz FSB.

The 667 MHz spec in the manual is incorrect.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi, Mario:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01613452

Chapter 1, page 1 has the list of supported Intel processors.

The fastest processor you can upgrade to would be the P8600 2.40-GHz processor.

HP Recommended

Thanks,

Why not T9400 2.53-GHz?

And please, 1066 MHz FSB and 800 MHz FSB, Are they compatible?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I can only recommend the processors listed in the manual.

The T9400 may work, so might the T9600, but it would be a complete gamble on your part if you want to try any processor not listed in the manual.

HP Recommended

At chapter 1 page 1 the fastest processor listed is T9400 2.53-GHz processor, 6-MB L2 cache, 1066-MHz FSB. From the top it is third place of the list.

I am woder if diferent FSB, 1066 MHz vs 800 MHz, would be a compatibility problem.

Thanks

HP Recommended

There would be no compatibility problem at all.

I missed that the T9400 processor was listed. 

Usually the fastest processors at listed at the top of the list, not buried in the middle.

The Mobile Intel GM45 chipset supports processors with 1066-MHz FSBs.

Just make sure your notebook has the mobile Intel GM45 chipset and not the GL40.

Use the free utility that I zipped up and attached below to find out the chipset spec.

The GL40 chipset only supports processors with up to an 800 MHz FSB.

The 667 MHz spec in the manual is incorrect.

HP Recommended

Many thanks, I have found the information at https://partsurfer.hp.com/ . I am using Lubuntu because with windows the notebook is useless. With Lubuntu I resurrected this computer some years ago. Now it is on the limit.
Let's see.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Successful, the T9400 works well and the performance is proportional to the clock update.

HP Recommended

That's great news.

Thanks for letting us know how your notebook's processor upgrade project went.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.