Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Presario V2036AP/ PP967PA#UUF
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I have a Compaq Presario Model No. V2036AP Notebook.

It’s Product No. is PP967PA#UUF.

Other details are,

• Processor :- Intel Centrino
  • RAM :- Upgraded to 2 GB (1 GB x 2)

The original HDD which came with the Laptop crashed 2 days back (November 01, 2015) and since then I have been searching like crazy on the net regarding upgrading to a SSD, but did not find any relevant information about my particular model referred above and hence this post.

My queries are:-

• Option-1, can I fit an Internal SSD of 256 or 128 GB?
  • If yes, then what should be the specifications for the SSD?
  • What modifications will I have to do for Option-1?

• Option-2, can I fit an External SSD and operate it through one of the 3 USB Ports?
  • What modifications will I have to do for Option-2?

• Option-3, can I fit an External HDD and operate it through one of the 3 USB Ports?
  • What modifications will I have to do for Option-3?

• Option-4, can I fit an Internal HDD of 256 or 128 GB?
  • What should be the specifications for the Internal HDD for Option-4?

I am really interested in operating my above Laptop through SSD only, so if somebody can give a solution to that effect it will be very very helpful.

Waiting for your early responses & Thanks In Advance!

Warm Regards

LUCKYSTRIKE

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No the issue is the type of hard drive and how it plugs in,  and you have this kind

PATA laptop drive

And an SSD is this kind:

sata_laptop_drive.jpg

See the difference in the interface? So it is a round plug/square hole kind of thing. I could go on technically about different types of storage controllers and how SSDs optimize speed but the different plug-ins is a deal-killer from the get-go. 

About all you can do if you want to speed up hard drive performance is to find a 7200 rpm PATA (top picture) hard drive which will be significantly faster than a 4200 or 5400 rpm kind, which is likely what you had/have. I actually bought a supply of 60 gig 7200 rpm IDE/PATA laptop drives I use in my hobby of refurbishing older laptops. I don't want to sell to an HP Forum member (kind of a conflict of interest) but I can probably steer you to the place I got them if you will send me a PM. 

My real best advice is that your laptop if it were a car would be entitled to have "Antique" plates and is actually just a little newer than some of the "old" laptops in my "vintage" collection. The market is very buyer-friendly and you can get a laptop that will run rings around yours for maybe $300 these days and will allow you to use a modern operating system with some semblance of security. I don't think yours could run anything newer than XP. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I am having a little trouble finding the full specifications but that is a Pentium M (original Centrino) laptop which uses the Intel 855 or maybe 900 chipset and it uses the older IDE/PATA hard drives. It is not capable of using a modern SATA SSD or even a modern SATA hard drive. Here is the Service Manual. See page 5-8.

Manual 

HP Recommended

Mr. Huffer thanks for a quick reply.

Thanks for the link to the Manual also, but I had already downloaded the same from HP's website.

As you said, if we see the pages 5 to 8 from the Manual, only on Page 6 their is a mention about HDD and that too about the capacity only.

My Laptop is a Pentium M (Original Centrino) which uses the Intel Pentium M 735(1.7 GHz) with 400-MHz FSB.

So does this change anything in the equation?

Will I be able to use a SSD in it?

If NOT, what would you advice?

Thanks in advance!

HP Recommended

No the issue is the type of hard drive and how it plugs in,  and you have this kind

PATA laptop drive

And an SSD is this kind:

sata_laptop_drive.jpg

See the difference in the interface? So it is a round plug/square hole kind of thing. I could go on technically about different types of storage controllers and how SSDs optimize speed but the different plug-ins is a deal-killer from the get-go. 

About all you can do if you want to speed up hard drive performance is to find a 7200 rpm PATA (top picture) hard drive which will be significantly faster than a 4200 or 5400 rpm kind, which is likely what you had/have. I actually bought a supply of 60 gig 7200 rpm IDE/PATA laptop drives I use in my hobby of refurbishing older laptops. I don't want to sell to an HP Forum member (kind of a conflict of interest) but I can probably steer you to the place I got them if you will send me a PM. 

My real best advice is that your laptop if it were a car would be entitled to have "Antique" plates and is actually just a little newer than some of the "old" laptops in my "vintage" collection. The market is very buyer-friendly and you can get a laptop that will run rings around yours for maybe $300 these days and will allow you to use a modern operating system with some semblance of security. I don't think yours could run anything newer than XP. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your Detailed, Early and To The Point reply.

I accept your above answer as a solution, but just for my knowledge I wanted to know the following:-

1. Can we get a IDE/PATA type SSD?
  2. Can we fit an External  SSD (SATA) or HDD (SATA) and operate it through any one of the 3 USB Ports?

HP Recommended

There is such a thing as an IDE/PATA SSD and you can find one on newegg,com, The problem is that the IDE storage system cannot really optimize an SSD. You don't get any real dramatic speed increase. Also very expensive per gigabyte. Forget the external idea. USB 2.0 is not an adequate interface for anything useable to run an operating system. You are just going to have to live with the limits of the hardware.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G15X9358&cm_re=PATA_SSD-_-20-208-894-_-Product

HP Recommended

Mr Huffer!

1) I have fitted an mSATA SSD with the help of an IDE 44 PIN Adapter in the above-referred laptop on January 08, 2016.

2) It detected the SSD immediately and it is running like a breeze.

3) One more advantage is when this laptops knock offs, I can use the mSATA SSD in my newer laptops, so that way only the money for the adapter will be a losing investment.

4) The adapter was for USD 12.50 and mSATA SSD 128 GB was for USD 50.00 with 3 years warranty.

5) Thought just update this here so it can help other people also do the same.

6) Once again thanks for the help you all.

7) Enclosed pictures of the Adapter with the SSD for your reference,

IDE HDD WITH CONNECTOR 2017-01-04_1.jpgIDE HDD WITH CONNECTOR 2017-01-04_4.jpgIDE HDD WITH CONNECTOR 2017-01-04_5.jpg

IDE TO mSATA 44 PIN ADAPTER 2017-01-04_1.jpgIDE TO mSATA 44 PIN ADAPTER 2017-01-04_2.jpg

MSATA SSD WITH ADAPTER 2017-08-01_1.jpgMSATA SSD WITH ADAPTER 2017-08-01_2.jpg

HP Recommended
I would be SO thankful and it would be so helpful if you could link to me the 44 pin adapter and the ssd that you used and any other info would be great. Whatever you have I'll comb through it all. Could I use a regular 2.5 ssd or does it HAVE to be mSATA? Limits on memory size? Like I said whatever ya got! Thank you ahead of time.
HP Recommended

Hi, Whoopasskl69!

• I am not a very Technical Geek, but, I will try to answer your for queries point by point.
  • Before I do that kindly know that my Laptop is running like a breeze after fitting the above set-up and I did not face any problem at all with the Adaptor or the mSata SSD till today (i.e. More than 3½ months of continuous usage)
  • I don't know where are you based, I am based in India and I order the adaptor from a local Indian online vendor https://www.getngain.com/
  • But, strangely when I was trying to go to the website while writing you this reply it was not opening up, I don't know why this is happening???
  • As regards the mSata SSD, I bought it again from my local online vendor in India http://www.onlyssd.com/
  • I checked their link while putting this reply to you and it was working at that time.
  • For your ready reference, I am attaching below Front and Back pictures of the mSata SSD which I bought.
  • I don't think so you can use a regular SSD because you will not find the compatible connectors since our Laptop model is very old, so you will have to go with the mSata SSD (at least this was the case when I did my research in November 2016).
  • I don't think so there is a limitation on memory size, in fact at first I had ordered the same model with the same company but with 256 GB, but they said it will take around 45 to 60 days for delivery of 256 GB so I bought 128 GB which got delivered in 2 days.
  • I see following improvements after fitting the above combo,
    • Battery life has increased a lot.
    • Amount of heat generated has reduced a bit.
    • Slightly faster than the PATA HDD.

If you require any for the help please do not hesitate to ask.

SANDISK MSATA SSD FRONT.jpgSANDISK MSATA SSD BACK.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.