Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 620 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have tried and failed about 10 times to install the Fall Creators Update to Windows 10 on my old HP 620 Laptop. I've tried various trouble shooting methods, and eventually discovered that HP provide a list of computers which have been tested to be compatible with the Fall Creators Update. My 620 is not on the list, so I suspect it is not compatible, but since it hasn't been tested I cannot be sure.  It would be helpful if I could have confirmation as to whether or not my 620 is compatible. Does anybody out there have the same problem, and do you know the answer? I've spent too much time on this already. I know it's old but it still serves me well, and I'm not ready to ditch it yet, although I may have to.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have a HP 620 right here, had the same problem and was not able to update to 1709.

I have switched off:

wifi switch

bluetooth/wifi combi

webcam

sound

sd card reader

expansion card

After this, it installed succesfully.

Then I switched all options on again and it seemed to work, but the next updates failed at 30%

So now I switched off sd card reader and the expansion card and leave it this way.

Running smoothly now!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi

For a Lo-Cost/No-Cost solution you can try the MS Creator tool and satisfy yourself.

The test will fall into 2 areas, initially MS OS will Install or Baulk, then finding suitable drivers IF you get an install.

I assume you have an F11 option to revert to the original?

Oldish hardware need not be discarded for lack of an OS, Linux Mint may well serve.  It can run from an external media, like a DVD/USb without needing to be installed, so if it's bad then bin it.

If you like it, Install it.

HP Recommended

Many thanks CF4 for a very quick response. I'll give it a try.

HP Recommended

Hi Enty,

I Had the same problem. I solved it entering in BIOS and Switching off all the devices (like Sound card, WLAN BlueTooth...) before installing the update. And enabling this after the installation.

Good Luck.

HP Recommended

Thankyou both very much for your suggestions. I've tried them all but unfortunately I've not been able to complete the update - it seems to always freeze at 82%. Maybe there is a solution, or maybe my laptop is just incompatible, but I decided to cut my losses. I've used the experience to justify, partly to myself, and partly to my wife, to get an upgraded computer, so it's not all bad news. I'll sell this old laptop and put the proceeds towards the cost. I managed to get a refurbished Dell desktop with an i5 processor and 16gb of memory for £260, and it now does the video rendering in less than a third of the time of the old one, so I'm quite satisfied.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Prego.

HP Recommended

I have a HP 620 right here, had the same problem and was not able to update to 1709.

I have switched off:

wifi switch

bluetooth/wifi combi

webcam

sound

sd card reader

expansion card

After this, it installed succesfully.

Then I switched all options on again and it seemed to work, but the next updates failed at 30%

So now I switched off sd card reader and the expansion card and leave it this way.

Running smoothly now!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Many thanks, I tried your method and it worked! eventually. Initially I made the mistake of shutting things down via device manager, and after disabling the wifi the laptop just locked up. After various attempts to restart it I ended up doing a reset with complete reload of Windows 10. Then I disabled the items you listed and kicked off all the updates, and bingo it worked. Maybe the reload of windows helped this time. Perhaps I won't sell it now after all. Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.