Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have a Dell Dock WD19S that I connect to my work Dell Latitude using a USB-C connector from the Dell Dock.  This Dell Dock has multiple displays on it and also charges/powers my Dell Latitude via the USB-C 

Can I plug the same USB-C into my HP Envy X360 Convertible 15-ee0503na to take advantage of the multiple displays?

I'm hoping that if my HP Envy won't accept the power through the USB-C, all it will do is ignore it and I'll still have to power it via the normal adapter, but I need to be sure I won't damage anything before I try.

Thanks in advance for any assistance from anyone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @banhien 

@Marco119 

According to the specification document for your notebook there is no Thunderbolt port on it. It is a USB Type-C Gen 2 superspeed port.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06688629

Part locator for your notebook model series

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06584306.pdf

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

The issues I see is the difference in power supplies and lack of a thunderbolt port for the dock. The dock supplies 95W  and  your Envy x360 requires 65W.

According to a Dell document there are notebooks that Dell publishes  as compatible and anything not on the list could experience limited functionality or errors.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000125885/usb-and-usb-type-c-dock-compatibility-list

If you plug it into your HP Envy x360 notebook, as Dell states, it may not work as expected. The risk to your HP product will be yours and yours alone. Note that the Envy does not have a Thunderbolt spec USB Type-C port as required by the dock.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

Thanks for the super fast reply.  Very informative...  🙂

One thing though; there is a small lightning or thunderbolt graphic on my HP Envy casing right next to/above the USB-C port... is that something different and doesn't mean "Thunderbolt"?

HP Recommended

@Marco119 

There are hundreds if not thousands of models/products called HP Envy x360 machines. What is your HP Envy ? Not USB-C ports are the same and lighting symbol doe not mean Thunderbolt™.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Banhien, I posted the model number in the opening question...

HP Envy X360 Convertible 15-ee0503na

I don't know if that helps?

Thanks for your reply too 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi @banhien 

@Marco119 

According to the specification document for your notebook there is no Thunderbolt port on it. It is a USB Type-C Gen 2 superspeed port.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06688629

Part locator for your notebook model series

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06584306.pdf

HP Recommended

@erico 

Sorry, I missed that bit.

@Marco119 

I fully tested HP USB-C Gen 5 dock on my HP Envy 15-ee0047nr (same series with your machine) and both of them mate perfectly.

I would NOT buy expensive products from different vendors to use on expensive products from HP. More headache than good.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and know-how.

Kind regards, Marco

HP Recommended

@banhien

I did not mean that directed at you. I only meant to say hi to you, my colleague in the forum. Everything below that was for the Author's benefit.

@Marco119 

We are here to help you. :}

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.