Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
CHromebook x360 14
Chrome OS

I just purchased this Chromebook at Best Buy and the fan is running constantly.  Every new tab, every time a page loads, the fan kicks on and makes a very high pitch noise.  This is my first Chromebook, but the whole point in buying this model was to get the 8GB of RAM so that it wouldn't be bogged down.  This is literally loading a website and it sounds like it's laboring.  Is this normal?  Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@enroncfo

Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

I see that HP Chromebook fan is constantly running and loud noise.
The computer becomes louder or runs constantly, the computer may be getting too hot or a hardware component might be failing.
Use compressed air to keep the air vents clean and free of dust and dirt. For more information, see Reducing Heat Inside the PC.

Here are steps:

Step1: Ensuring proper space for ventilation

To decrease the likelihood of overheating problems, ensure the fans on your laptop are able to ventilate properly. Proper ventilation for the system is important for laptop operation. Follow these guidelines to ensure adequate ventilation:

• Keep the laptop upright and on a sturdy, level surface.

• Provide at least 15.25 centimetres (6 inches) of clearance around each vent.

• If the laptop is being used at very high altitudes, above 1500 meters (5000 feet), take extra care to keep the laptop cool.

Step 2: Placing the notebook in a cooler room

If your laptop is overheating, place it in a cooler room. A small difference in temperature might be all that is needed to prevent a component from failing. Move the laptop to a cooler room in the house or office. If this is not an option, continue with the next step.

Step 3: Using HP CoolSense technology

HP CoolSense technology is a feature in some HP notebook (laptop) computers that combine hardware, software, and mechanical design to dynamically manage the temperature of your laptop computer. HP CoolSense uses a motion sensor in your laptop to sense when your laptop is being used in a stationary or mobile setting, and automatically adjusts the laptop performance and fan speed to keep the computer cool. You can set HP CoolSense software to your specifications. For more information, see HP Notebook PCs - HP CoolSense Technology.

The HP Command Center app, available on select HP ENVY Notebook PCs, uses CoolSense technology along with other thermal control options to keep you comfortable while using your HP notebook. For more information, see HP ENVY Notebook PCs - HP Command Center (Windows 10).

Step 4: Updating the BIOS

After releasing a laptop, HP regularly provides updates for the BIOS and other components. Check for BIOS updates and install them using instructions in the HP support document Updating the BIOS.

Keep me posted,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?  My new x360 does the same

HP Recommended

Mine does the same, when will this be solved by providing a firmware update? From my point of view this is cannot be normal.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.