Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Compaq CQ58

Good Morning, I have a problem since upgrading to Windows 10. I can not get the LAN port to work at all'

I am told that the bios is incorrect.. My machine details are:

Compaq CQ58 Notebook PC

Product No DOX18EA#ABU

Serial No     [edited]

Born on       05/25/2013

System Board ID  1885

Bios              F.26

Processor  AMDE1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics

Speed         1400Mhz

Memory      4 Gb

WLAN FCC ID  VQF-RT5390

I have tried many suggestions but to no avail.

Can anyone please help this old codger in finding the correct and installiong it.

Many thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It is good to hear that your notebook it is up and running as it should be.

:generic:

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Thanks for being the first in my nine years on the for to actually provide the FCCID for a wifi adapter!

I suggest that you uninstall the driver for the RT5390 wifi adapter from within the device manager.

Once that is done, reinstall the HP driver in compatibility mode. Choose Windows 8 as the last OS the device worked in.

Do the same with the LAN device. Here is its driver

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59501-60000/sp59609.exe

Here is the driver for the wifi adapter

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64501-65000/sp64825.exe

If that fails, I suggest you purchase a windows 10 compatible USB dongle.

Many people over the years have had problems with the RT5390 wifi adapter and Windows 10.

There are tiny, powerful wifi USB dongle adapters available at Newegg.com and other online vendors.

There are two newer versions of the BIOS available at the driver download section of the Support portal for your notebook.

HP Notebook System BIOS Update (AMD Processors)

F.294.8 MBJun 9, 2014Download

HP's Terms of Use
DetailsPrevious versions
Version       File size    Release Date  
F.274.8 MB  Dec 5,    2013 Details  Download

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi erico,

Many thanks for your quick reply, have had another play this afternoon.  Wi Fi is no problem, always worked fine as soon as laptop switched on, it's just the LAN socket.

I have tried to update the driver, but it won't allow me to, keeps coming back, insufficient information, update BIOS.

It does seems that there is something wrong with the bios, how can I download and reinstall or update it?

Any further ideas please.

HP Recommended

Use the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics --> Component test to see if the NIC is working as expected.

Did you install the driver in compatibility mode?

Out of curiousity, just why do you need the LAN port?

They are used so infrequently of late that manufacturers have stopped including them as standard on consumer notebooks.

What does the following statement mean?

"keeps coming back, insufficient information, update BIOS." 

I need specific information, not statements like that one.

HP Recommended

HI Erico,

I crept up to the laptop very early this morning, caught it half asleep and managed to update the bios as per your suggestion.  It then realised I was not going to give up and low and behold all now works fine.

I must say that without your help I don't see how I could have got to the bottom of the problem.

Many thanks and all the very best.

HP Recommended

It is good to hear that your notebook it is up and running as it should be.

:generic:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.