Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 15-bl112dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hello there,

From what I have researched so far, my laptop RAM is "not customer accessible/upgradeable" based on this official HP Maintenance and Service Guide. However, the Intel website listed that my CPU supported up to the maximum of 32 GB RAM, this tech reviewer from Youtube confirms it and Amazon also listed my the same specs with the higher configuration of 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD. So now I am really confused to know whether my RAM is really soldered or could I upgrade both SSD and RAM on my laptop?

This is my first time doing a laptop upgrade so I am really concerned if doing this by myself or going to HP Service Provider would void my 1 yr limited warranty? Has anyone here has done this before to give me some insights? There are many RAM out there if I were to do by myself so how could I check if they are HP certified and safely compatible with my model? Do you guys know if I could get these parts from HP or from any reliable place at affordable prices?

Here are what I found so far and not sure if I could replace them.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I was pretty sure I addressed these questions but happy to clarify. The upgrade would not affect the warranty. I personally do not invest in extended warranties because I can do the repairs myself but many people like the peace of mind and even with free labor a screen or other major component that goes out can be very expensive and would be covered for you under extended warranty (Carepack).

HP Authorized support providers generally will not install 3rd party parts and buying original replacement parts from HP is very expensive and options are limited such as for M.2 disks. Original replacements or upgrades may be from an earlier generation of hardware and not as fast or up to date as what you can buy in the market currently. 

I linked you to the Manual which ias a tutorial of sorts. Seriously, you remove a handful of screws and pull the back cover off it is not very difficult if you have any kind of aptitude, but I do recognize it is not for everyone. Here are HP service videos if you decide to go that route. Just click on what you want to see from the list on the left to bring up the video. You need to enable flash player when prompted.  

Memory:

https://h20574.www2.hp.com/Media/B1BECB32-1E01-414B-9478-CE2CA3DD9EB2/ker_fru_frameset-en.htm

SSD:

https://h20574.www2.hp.com/Media/B1BECB32-1E01-414B-9478-CE2CA3DD9EB2/ker_fru_frameset-en.htm

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Here's the Service Manual:

Manual

The memory is absolutely not soldered and is not even that hard to access. See pages 22-26 of the Manual. It will run 32 gigs of DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM (2 X 16 GIG) and the Hynix from amazon.com would be fine. Samsung Evo 970 NVME M.2 1 TB from amazon.com would work also fine, too. Your warranty will not be affected by removing the back cover to upgrade but you are on your own if damage occurs and the new SSD and RAM will obviously not be warranted but you will have seller's warranty on those components. The Manual does not provide a good image of where the M.2 slot is located but the instructions are on p. 39. Apparently it is in the upper right hand corner under the power and usb boards. The memory requires removal of a heat shield but that is pretty clearly documented. 

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. I have just got this laptop last Thanksgiving and need to know if I have the option for future proof purposes if my laptop started running slow.

Now I am getting closer to the end of HP manufacturing warranty and thinking about extending for next years. However, RAM is "not customer accessible/upgradeable" according to the manual service throwing me to many concerns:

1. Is it still worth it to be under HP extended warranty after the upgrade? Because I wonder if my laptop would be taken care of after the upgrade whether or not the problem is caused by the new SSD or RAM.

2. Should I hand this laptop to any of these HP Authorized Support Providers in my area to have them upgrade or replace just to be safe and prevent any warranty voidance in the future?

OR

3. Should I choose to do it at my own risk? Even I think I can do it but are there any tutorial videos available out there for this model that I can watch and do?

HP Recommended

I was pretty sure I addressed these questions but happy to clarify. The upgrade would not affect the warranty. I personally do not invest in extended warranties because I can do the repairs myself but many people like the peace of mind and even with free labor a screen or other major component that goes out can be very expensive and would be covered for you under extended warranty (Carepack).

HP Authorized support providers generally will not install 3rd party parts and buying original replacement parts from HP is very expensive and options are limited such as for M.2 disks. Original replacements or upgrades may be from an earlier generation of hardware and not as fast or up to date as what you can buy in the market currently. 

I linked you to the Manual which ias a tutorial of sorts. Seriously, you remove a handful of screws and pull the back cover off it is not very difficult if you have any kind of aptitude, but I do recognize it is not for everyone. Here are HP service videos if you decide to go that route. Just click on what you want to see from the list on the left to bring up the video. You need to enable flash player when prompted.  

Memory:

SSD:

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

I also have an HP Spectre, mine is a x360 bl1XX.  The manual you link to and the Curcial site say the max memory is 16GB, I have 12GB in it now.  I'd like to put in 32GB but not sure if in fact the board will support. Can you confirm?

And thanks for the excellent reply to the previous poster.

HP Recommended

Would the following also be fine: Kingston Technology Impact 32GB Kit?

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.