Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion Power 15 cb004na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought a new HP laptop, upon updating and installing all my programs i realized that there was a crack on the bottom of the laptop, there the rubber mounts. I am wondering if this crack will affect the structural integrity of my laptop and if its possible to buy a replacement base or for me to send my laptop in to HP for them to replace the base.

Everything else on the laptop seems to work fine. 

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

You can buy a replacement but installation is a very big project as you basically have to rebuild the laptop. Also the part will not be cheap and I cannot speak for Warranty coverage but quality control is pretty good and I am sure when it was placed in the box it had no crack. To make a claim with the shipper you would have had to do so immediately I am afraid. Its hard to say how serious the crack is without a picture but if it is not near anything that moves and is small (short) you likely could use the laptop forever like that with no ill effect. A picture would help make that assessment.  

HP Recommended

Sorry, here is a picture of the crack IMG_20190112_161519.jpg

HP Recommended

Does it go all the way through the plastic? Can you flex the plastic on either side of the crack? You would not want to use model glue or superglue but a fine line of rubber cement on top of the crack would stabilize it or a piece of that clear tape you see on tv ads. Flex Tape I think it is. The electronic components inside are not at risk uless you set it down in a puddle and somehow liquid seeps through. The crack might be prone to expansion however as you flex the case by opening and closing the lid and carrying it around. 

HP Recommended

Yeah, it goes all the way through it...

I dont really mind paying for a replacement (depending on cost)  if the damage is too serious but if it doesnt affect the strength of the laptop then I probably wouldnt replace it as i dont really see it while in use

HP Recommended

The cost would shock you. The part might be $150 or so and the labor would be even more than that so maybe $350-400. As I said the laptop needs to be completely disassembled and rebuilt. 

HP Recommended

Is there any permanent cheaper solution to avoid further cracking apart from buying a new base?

HP Recommended

The adhesive bond would do it. If done carefully it would be hard to detect since it is a clean straight line. 

HP Recommended

What would be the best type of adhesive for the plastic on the base?

HP Recommended

Superglue would work for this purpose but you should apply very sparingly along the crack line.  The bottom cover is removeable. See p. 35 of the Manual here:

Manual

I would remove the bottom cover and do the repair from the inside and let it dry/harden completely before putting the cover back on. If you don't want to use Superglue that piece of clear sealing tape I was talking about could be put over the crack on the backside and would seal it from anything coming in and would keep the crack from spreading. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.