Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 17-by1061st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought an HP Notebook - 17-by1061st in April of 2020.  Almost exactly a year later, the hinge broke and black pieces of plastic were spitting out of the back.  The keyboard up near the power jack was cracking so I taped it with gorilla tape.  I discovered the laptop was not under warranty even though I was invited to extend my warranty through a popup invite on my computer.  HP even took my $59.99 or whatever it was for the extended warranty but then told me I didn't have an extended warranty when I complained that my laptop broke after a year.  Since then I have been using my laptop pretty much as a desktop, left open and never closed, on a desk, so it does not become completely unusable.  (Also, it is only with great effort that my laptop screen can be closed so I have stopped doing this at all.)  My computer works but ... it is broken and I have finally decided that I need to get it fixed, even if it costs me hundreds of dollars.  I have learned online that the cheap and defective hinge issue was known to be a problem as many as five years ago but was not fixed by HP.  This has resulted in a class action suit against the company in at least one state, Florida.  

My question is:  how do I get my hardware fixed/replaced and how much will it cost me?  And my secondary question is:  is there any point in trying to convince HP to fix or replace my laptop with no charge given that they KNEW they had defective parts, i.e., the cheap hinge?  

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.