Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion ec1052ax
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I recently got a pavilion ec1052ax. I am hearing a crackling sound from near the power button all the time. I hear it frequently, in short bursts while I'm using the notebook. When I shutdown, this sound ramps up in frequency. Is there any fix for this. Also another issue I noticed is that the exhaust vents are partially covered in some white powdery substance. Don't know how else to describe it. What exactly could it be? 

Thanx in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@myth207, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Welcome to HP forums, I see that you are getting cracking sound from speakers on your notebook.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out.

• Did you check with alternate headphones or external speakers?

Meanwhile:

Update the audio driver using Device Manager

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  2. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.
  3. If a sound device is listed with a down arrow , the device is disabled. Right-click the sound device name, and then select Enable to re-enable the device.

4. With the sound device enabled, right-click the sound device and select Update Driver.

5. Click Search automatically for updated driver software.

6. Windows checks for and installs any updated drivers found. The window displays whether the computer already has the latest available driver or if Windows was able to successfully update the audio driver.

7. If a window opens asking you to restart the computer, restart the computer.
  8. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after updating the driver, continue to the next step.

If you completed these steps and the latest driver was already installed, use the following steps to uninstall and then reinstall the driver:

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

2. Double-click Sound, video, and game controllers.

3. Right-click the sound device and select Uninstall.

4. Restart the computer to reinstall the driver.

You can refer to this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I heard that sound only when starting up windows or when restarting. Rest of the times it's almost inaudible. I think this started after I used a compressed air can to blow out the exhaust vents of my laptop of a white dust. This might be dumb but I think some of it blew into the power button area inside the laptop as the sound is originating from that area.

I have tried updating and reinstalling the audio drivers but the issue still remains.

Could you please help in identifying what this white dust is? Is it something to clean off as fast as possible?

The vents seem closed on the extreme left and right sides and is only open in the space between.Is that normal?

IMG_20201228_122518.jpg

HP Recommended

@myth207,

Update the  HP Notebook System BIOS Update (AMD Processors)

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.