Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-da0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I am using HP 15-da0xxx 

product no : 4HL43AV

Purchased it 2 years back.

Out of the blue I faced an error " boot device not found "  3FO Error

Apparently now I found another user with same issue link below:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/HP-Recovery-Manager-Error/td-p/...

and I also found a HP support communication customer advisory document citing the same issue  link below

https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c06195611

I feel this a common(serious) issue with these models having optane memory. I am not aware why it has caused maybe the optane memory or some other issue.

Please address if this is a common issue faced for this model .

Also i did my diagnostic test and my long dst test failed and I recieved a failure id.

Please tell me what is to be done regarding the issue and address at the earliest.

Really not in a place to replace my hard drive so soon. Hoping for some solution

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

In India the Service Center is able to do more things for you than in the US. However, they will not install 3rd party parts so if you take it there, they will provide the hard drive. If you are concerned about opening the laptop it is better to let a technician do it. 

Here is a link to a Service Center locator. Lots of them in India. Find one close to you and call them first. 

Use the pull-down menus

HP Service Center Locator - United States | HP® Customer Support

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

If you are getting a DST error on the hard drive, the problem is not the Optane module. The procedure in the bulletin exits you out of the routine related to Optane problems if the hard drive itself throws off an error Code. Hard drive failures have been part of computers since they were invented. A lot of people will lead you to believe there is something other than replacing the hard drive that can be done, but in the end when you get a DST error its time for a new hard drive. 

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the prompt reply.

I was really not hoping that I have to replace my Hard drive ,I thought some diagnosis would have fixed it.

Just adding few more details of the condition of my laptop just in case there is any other fix

When I perform diagnostic test the long dst test fails but I can still boot into my laptop but it takes some time and the performance is very slow considering i7 processor.I frequently get notifications to repair my drive errors.

If in case the only option is to replace hard drive

Could you please tell me specifications of my hard drive  that will required or maybe post some links of e commmerce sites where I can purchase.

Also is it advisable to configure the hard drive my self without visiting the HP center.Please suggest which is better To configure on my own or consult the HP center?

Thank You

HP Recommended

In India the Service Center is able to do more things for you than in the US. However, they will not install 3rd party parts so if you take it there, they will provide the hard drive. If you are concerned about opening the laptop it is better to let a technician do it. 

Here is a link to a Service Center locator. Lots of them in India. Find one close to you and call them first. 

Use the pull-down menus

HP Service Center Locator - United States | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Thank you Mr.Huffer for your kind help.

HP Recommended

Will you be able to tell me my hard drive specification and also an approximate cost it would take for replacement( just an estimated rough figure )

Laptop details:

HP 15-da0xxx

product no : 4HL43AV

HP Recommended

In the USA a 1 TB 2.5inch SATA hard drive is about $80-90 US. I have no idea about labor rates in India but in the US if you took it to Geek Squad at one of the big retailers a hard drive replacement and reinstall of the OS might be $200-250 US. 

HP Recommended

Okay thanks a lot! 

HP Recommended

I have found a hard drive online similar to the one HP had configured.I will post the product link,please tell me whether it is compatible and according to requirements.

Also please tell me whether  my laptop support SSD or SSD + HDD (both together)

Link of the Hard drive same as the present one :

https://www.amazon.in/BlueTM-Mobile-Hard-Drive-1TB/dp/B071F9MLJJ

Below is the link of other alternative hard drive with similar specification:

https://www.amazon.in/Seagate-Laptop-2-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000LM048/dp/B01LY3Q201/ref=pd_sbs_1?pd_rd_...

Please tell me which  of the above two  is better and also address the question of whether my laptop supports SSD.

Thank you so much 

HP Recommended

Either one of those hard drives is fine.Just needs to be 2.5 inches wide and 7 or 9.5mm thick and a SATA connector. You could as an alternative install a 2.5 inch SATA SSD. The external shape, mounting hole pattern and the connectors are the same as a HDD so interchangeable. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.