Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion DM1

I bought a used HP Pavilion DM1 on eBay.

It comes without a hard drive.

But after watching a Youtube video, I realize that the hard drive needs a connector cable.

Are all HP hard drive connectors cables the same?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

There are hundreds of DM1 notebook models.

You will need to check chapter 3 of the service manual for your specific DM1 notebook for the parts list.

Enter the product number of your DM1 in the box at the link below to get the support page.

https://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en

HP Recommended

According to the eBay auction, the laptop is a DM1-2010NR.

The service manual : https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-dm1-2000-entertainment-notebook-pc-series/4166198/m... 

The odd thing is that the manual mentions a hard drive mounting bracket aka caddy and shows a hard drive with what looks like the connector cable, but the connector cable is not explicitly mentioned.  😞

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Thank you very much!

Just curious, is it just the DM series that require the hard drive connector cable?

I have an Elitebook 8460 and the hard drive just plugs in.

I prefer not to have to worry about this sort of thing when buying a used laptop.

HP Recommended

That's a can of worms. Every model is different. Some hard drives plug right into the motherboard and then there are many different variations of cable connections. 

HP Recommended

Good news.

The hard drive adapter cable is inside the laptop. There is no caddy, but I plan on using double-sided tape to secure the SSD.

Bad news.

The AC adapter I have has the wrong tip.

I will create another post about it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.