Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
dv6-3204tx
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I would like to upgrade the i5 processor in my dv6-3204tx to an i7 processor. Is this actually possible? If so, what is the fastest i7 CPU this unit could support?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

There is a list of CPU's supported on page 1 of the first manual on the following link:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv6-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/4308480/model/5...

Page 98 shows you a list of parts. Please order the right part from HP.  And on page 99, the manual shows you how to replace it.

Please note: normally, we have to update BIOS before changing hardware. You can check BIOS under Software and drivers section of the above link.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

There is a list of CPU's supported on page 1 of the first manual on the following link:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv6-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/4308480/model/5...

Page 98 shows you a list of parts. Please order the right part from HP.  And on page 99, the manual shows you how to replace it.

Please note: normally, we have to update BIOS before changing hardware. You can check BIOS under Software and drivers section of the above link.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

How can I know in reading that list which CPU will work OK in my DV6-3204? Or will any of the Intel CPUs work?

HP Recommended

Also I can't get to the BIOS screen. I press FUNC+ESC on startup but only get the Startup Menu.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.