Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The DVD drive on my laptop won't read disks.  When I insert a disk you can hear the drive working but nothing happens.  I have checked the drivers and they are up to date.  The systems tells me that the device is working properly, which it clearly isn't.  Any help would be appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Can we have the full model number? The way to exclude a software issue is to try booting up from the DVD drive. Get a bootable disk like a Windows install disk and tap esc as you power up then F9 for boot options and select DVD-RW drive and see if the system boots. If not then it is a hardware issue. If it does there is something in the Windows settings that is interfering with the DVD drive. Post back and let us know what it is. 

HP Recommended

Here is the model of the laptop: HP ENVY Notebook - m7-k111dx

I will try to get a boot-able disk and try what you suggest

HP Recommended

If you have a working CD or DVD burner an image of a bootable Windows 10 disk can be downloaded and burned from the Microsoft Media Creation Tool site (google that) for free

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.