Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

@ Huffer, Re-read the question,

It is a Lacie d2 200GB hard drive. It is one of their older models and this design almost impossible to open. Any useful tips on how to open the outer case for this device?

HP Recommended

@Mumbodog wrote:

Most likely the hard drive is OK, it is a failure of the USB controller or power supply inside the enclosure.

You can disassemble the enclosure to remove the hard drive, then use a hard drive to usb adapter to get your data. 

Google "disassemble <your enclosure model>", you might find instructions for your particular model.

I now have removed the enclosure on the hard drive and I obtained a usb adapter. How do I use the hard drive to usb adapter to get my data?
HP Recommended

Are there no instructions that came with the adapter?

Normally you connect the adapter to the data port, then connect the power supply to the power connector on the hard drive, plug in the power supply to a wall outlet, the hard drive should spin up, then plug the usb into the PC, it should take a few seconds for Windows to load the driver for the adapter and hard drive, then you should see the drive in Windows Explorer with all your data. 

HP Recommended

Do we have to be so literal? 2 screws will let you peek at the hard drive. To get it out of the enclosure to do anything useful with it is going to take a lot more. But finding the video on youtube was excellent work. I was referring to LaCie drives as the ones that can be a real bear to get into. 

And here is a site showing in pictures how to use the ide to usb adapter just like the one I have, and recommend.

pictures

One big pointer to emphasize is the the ide hard drive should be jumpered master or it may not work right.

HP Recommended

@Mumbodog wrote:

Are there no instructions that came with the adapter?

Normally you connect the adapter to the data port, then connect the power supply to the power connector on the hard drive, plug in the power supply to a wall outlet, the hard drive should spin up, then plug the usb into the PC, it should take a few seconds for Windows to load the driver for the adapter and hard drive, then you should see the drive in Windows Explorer with all your data. 

The instructions with the adapter are cryptic.  I found the video really helpful. Is there a video for this procedure?

HP Recommended

check post above for pictures of how to do it

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

Do we have to be so literal? 

Yes I do, I post on too many forums and get pounded when I don't answer specific questions with specific answers. Now I am getting pounded for being specific here.....but i digress.

HP Recommended

Hey we are all friends here...no pounding I promise

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

Hey we are all friends here...no pounding I promise

Darn, I was beginning to like it. :OpenSmile:

HP Recommended

Mumbodog and Huffer, you are amazing! Your solutions worked and saved my precious video files that I thought were lost. I would had to pay a lot of money for a data recovery service, but not anymore. Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.