Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ50-142US
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Looking for graphics drivers for an old CQ50 with Nvidia 

Hello everyone.  I have been trying for some time to find some graphics drivers that will work well with my old CQ50-142US.  I know it is old, but it runs well and if I can keep it out of the dump and use it to surf the web then I will.  I hate that the OEMs do not offer long term support so the auto loaders don't work with Win10.  I've tried HP, nVidia, and third party options to no avail to get both video channels loaded up properly to my hardware's full potential.

The driver I am running right now on PCI bus 0, device 2, function 0 HW: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A42&CC_0300 is an old driver for the Intel chip set, but with it loaded I do not see the other integrated graphics card (nvidia) listed in the devices.  If I uninstall all the device it is reloaded with the generic windows driver and I get an unknown device in other.

If you can point me in the right direction for what drivers could be loaded for optimums considering the circumstances I'd greatly appreciate it.  I'm just doing this for fun more than anything and learning a lot I didn't know in the process.

If you can point me in the right direction for download I'm pretty sure they will work even if they are not specifically coded for windows 10.  

I'm not sure if both channels, when loaded up properly should say nVidia, or if one will be Intel/one Nvidia and I need to upload two separate drivers as I don't remember what they had before I resurrected and upgraded this PC.  Going back to an old OS isn't an option since Microsoft is no longer supporting updates to previous versions of windows.

I'm also not entirely sure if I need a driver for nVidia 8200M G or 9200M as the technical manual has both when it describes the hardware (see below)

System Info: 

Running windows 10

Intel Pentium Dual-Core T3200 2.00-GHz processor (1-MB L2 cache)

The board I have is equipped with NVIDIA GeForce 9200M graphics and a Digital Media Slot P/N: 494283-001

Chipset Northbridge and Southbridge: NVIDIA MCP77MV
GeForce 8200M

Graphics Unified Memory Architecture (UMA) graphics
subsystem integrated with shared system memory
(dynamically allocated)
● Up to 256 MB of total available graphics
subsystem memory when computer system
memory equals or is greater than 2048 MB
● Up to 128 MB of total available graphics
memory equals or is greater than 1024 MB
● Up to 64 MB of total available graphics
memory equals 512 MB
NVIDIA Discrete GeForce 9200M GE with 256 MB
of dedicated video memory

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the parts list for your notebook. 

It only comes with the onboard Intel graphics as is shown in the motherboard description.

System board (motherboard) - UMA architecture, integrated data/fax modem, HDMI v1.3, 5-in-1 media card reader, and VGA output port.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=FZ823UA

So, if the Intel graphics driver is installed, then your notebook's graphics are running just fine.

Some CQ50's had the motherboards with the nvidia graphics adapter.

Those would not have the onboard Intel graphics adapter like yours has.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the parts list for your notebook. 

It only comes with the onboard Intel graphics as is shown in the motherboard description.

System board (motherboard) - UMA architecture, integrated data/fax modem, HDMI v1.3, 5-in-1 media card reader, and VGA output port.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=FZ823UA

So, if the Intel graphics driver is installed, then your notebook's graphics are running just fine.

Some CQ50's had the motherboards with the nvidia graphics adapter.

Those would not have the onboard Intel graphics adapter like yours has.

HP Recommended

Thank you.  The site forced me to create a new user name again when I logged in, but if you can close the answer from your end the partsurfer is very helpful.  Thank you for that.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I think there are log in issues for the last couple of days.

I have to keep clicking on the blue log in button a few times, before it will let me in.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.