Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360-15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to set up an  HP USB-C dock G5 docking station on my HP envy x360 15 inch screen laptop. While i am able to use my HDMI port with one monitor, i bought the docking station so i can use dual monitors. However, each time i plug the docking station to my USB-C port, i get an error display connection might be limited on your HP. 

I downloaded and installed the drivers for HP  USB-C dock G5 yet it still gives the same error.

Could you please assist me with a solution? I need to know if the docking station is the problem and if i should return it or if there s something else i need to do.

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes that dock uses DisplayLink to have video. All USB 3.0 docks must do that to have active video ports. Just use a USB-C to USB 3 adapter or plug the dock into an old school USB rectangular port (3.0 not 2.0). 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Etoma 

What is your HP Envy x360-15 ? The USB-C port on your machine may not support video out

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I really don't understand  why an HP docking station will not work on a HP device? 

So what do you recommend?

HP Recommended

It works with some HP devices is why we need to know the full model number of your laptop. If it is a data only USB-C Port the video on the dock will not work the way you want it to work. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer,

Thanks for your kind response:

Please find device details below:

Serial number:  8CG7384WV0
Product number:  X7U53UA
HP Recommended

Its a data only USB-C port so in order for it to drive monitors you need a dock with DisplayLink technology. The HP dock you ask about does not have that as it is designed to be used with Thunderbolt USB-C ports, which have more capability than yours. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for this feedback. 

Actually, I have purchased and returned up to 4 different docking stations as at yesterday. 

Do you have any good recommendations of suitable docking stations with DisplayLink technology that will work for this particular model of laptop? Would be great if you can share any links (URL) too.

BTW, i made a new order for a pluggable docking station. See link below: Would this fit possibly work?

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00GQ3685Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

Yes that dock uses DisplayLink to have video. All USB 3.0 docks must do that to have active video ports. Just use a USB-C to USB 3 adapter or plug the dock into an old school USB rectangular port (3.0 not 2.0). 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.