Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15-ch010tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

What HP (or 3rd party) docking station is best suited for the 2018 HP Spectre x360 15' laptop?

I dont see any compatibility info for it on HP docking stations, even the latest G2 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

HP only offer docking stations with compatibility guarantees for the business lines (primarily ZBook, EliteBook and ProBook models) and a handful of other models primarily sold to non-consumers - see this document from page 33 onwards for the listing. For any system not on the list, including all the main consumer lines (Spectre, Envy and Pavilion), docking is a 'best efforts' affair - the user takes responsibility for the compatibility of the dock and the system.

If your system has Thunderbolt 3 then there is a fair chance that the 120W version of the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 will work - but I cannot guarantee compatibility. The DisplayPort, USB Type A, USB-C and Thunderbolt functionality of the dock all use standard Thunderbolt features. I'm doubtful the power button functionality on the dock will work due to lack of BIOS support - on a supported system you can press the top of the dock as if it was the system power button and a LED lights along with the LED in the power button. The drivers for the dock audio and Ethernet devices (both of which are USB devices connected to the dock's USB hub) can be got from the support page of one of the supported HP notebooks if they do not install automatically.

A third party Thunderbolt 3 dock should also work but, again, there are no guarantees of compatibility.

HP Recommended

Thanks but it does seem a bit odd that HP have these products but is unwilling to provide recommendations as to the best product fit. Like you said, I've got as much guarantee with using a 3rd party dock.

Is there anyone out there who has used a dock with the latest HP spectre and can say what works/doesnt work?

HP Recommended

The situation is, I suspect, partly one of product differentiation and partly one borne of history.

The business ranges are deliberately focused somewhat differently to a market that typically looks for longer product life (optional warranties of up to five years on site, perhaps also more robust build quality and upgradability) and enterprise level security and management features. Docking stations were historically items into or onto which a notebook fitted, which were manufacturer specific as well as limited to a particular era and perhaps also sections of the product range. More recently cable based docking came along on some business computers from some manufacturers, but it was still a proprietary solution.

It was not until USB-C with DisplayPort alternate mode (or, for more demanding requirements, Thunderbolt) became available that universal docking became a reality - up to that point, only somewhat limited USB port replicators were available that could not charge the computer and could only provide video ports using DisplayLink or similar technology rather than connecting to the system GPU. On business lines, which typically are slower to adopt new technology because of the considerable investment many businesses have in legacy technology, USB-C implementation has only really matured in the past 2-3 years. Even with USB-C and Thunderbolt docking there are still some features that are proprietary - such as power buttons, power indicators, wake on LAN functionality and pass through of the system MAC address to the dock's Ethernet port.

Supporting a dock for a particular system involves testing that dock with the system prior to launch and with any BIOS and driver upgrades to confirm proper functionality. There is also some level of commitment to supporting the use of that dock though, to be fair, this is limited. If you have compatibility issues with third party hardware then HP's response may well be to state the item is incompatible unless the dock or the HP computer connected to it is clearly at fault.

HP want to steer business customers to the business ranges which are ready to provide for the requirements of the business market. Tested, approved docking stations that are on the official accessory list for a system are part of the business range ethos. The support offering on business ranges is, to my understanding, rather deeper than on consumer ranges. Meanwhile, it seems that the focus in the consumer ranges is more on value for money at initial purchase and on leading edge design; the business ranges are that bit more staid and conservative in design.

I would love it if the premium consumer machines - which for HP means Spectre - got some kind of basic official docking support; perhaps a basic level of testing with a current dock from the business range but without any special BIOS support for power buttons and the like. Increasingly this seems to be something that many consumers want. However, I suspect HP might feel this erodes product differentiation: it risks confusing business customers who might fail to understand the lower level of integration and testing on offer, also it would add costs that the price sensitive consumer market might not wish to bear. The alternative approach would be to introduce a separate consumer dock product which means spending money bringing an entirely new product to market which may well be premium priced and, in the eyes of the consumer market, offer little more than a cheaper third-party dock of a similar specification.

I can only offer the answer I did in my earlier post - there are no officially approved and supported docks for the consumer ranges. I take your point that it seems somewhat strange for a manufacturer not to recommend an accessory they already make but, as I have said, if you recommend something you hold out some sort of promise it will work. To verify functionality you have to test prior to release and continue testing driver and firmware updates throughout the product lifecycle of the dock and the computer, all of which costs time and money.

The situation is as it is; I can only attempt to explain from my understanding as an outsider.

It is likely any of the current range of HP Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C docks will work with your Spectre, so long as you avoid the higher power variants of the Thunderbolt 3 docks. These high power variants use a dual 4.5mm power and Thunderbolt 3 connector for those systems like my ZBook which require more power than the 100W USB Power Delivery limit. This connector is not universal; it will only fit systems with a 4.5mm power socket and USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 socket with the correct spacing.

However, I cannot provide any compatibility guarantee with any HP or third party dock - and if you ask HP Support directly, I expect you will get the same answer.

Hopefully you can either find a way to test your system with a dock prior to purchase or another owner can tell you what works for them.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the clear answer/description of the history of this. I have also had issues finding a supported dock (because there are none) for my Spectre x360 Ch008ca.

The laptop is described as having a Thunderbolt 3 support, but in reality it seems as though it's just a hole in the side of my laptop that happens to be the right size for a thunderbolt cable to fit into. 

If you're a consumer - probably don't buy from HP. They don't care about you.

HP Recommended

I am very disappointed with the HP I bought HP spectre X360 for $2000 and it does even work with the latest G2 thunderbolt Docking station HP is the worst company ever I will never buy any product from HP unless or until HP make it compatible or find me a Thunderbolt Docking station 
Worst Worst Worst Company ever

You guys are a liar and cheater don't give that useless explanation it's only for the business line it does not work with BIOS Dell is the best company who makes a product which does not disappoint the customer

HP Recommended

I am by no means defending HP because all companies have flaws. However, I own a late 2018 HP Spectre x360 13" (the gem cut) and I was lucky enough that the company I work for purchased a 120W G2 Thunderbolt 3 dock for an employee here. I have tested the dock with my Spectre and everything on it has worked with the exception of the button and LED on the top of the unit. With that said no universal docking station have a button on them to act as a power button and it is for that reason that I believe HP does not list the Spectre as a compatible product.

HP Recommended

HI, Bryan, I appreciate for your response and I am glad all other features are working good except the power button when you say no universal docking station has power button I disagree with it because I have Lenovo ThinkPad T540p and it has a Docking station which has a power button which works fine.

The reason I needed the button to be working is that I don't want to open the Laptop flap and pressing the power button to turn on my laptop I want to just press the button on the docking station and that should power up my laptop as I am doing the same for my Lenovo think pad that is very convenient. I am paying more than 2k for a laptop so I should except some premium compatible product for it too.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.