Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre Pro G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm desperately looking for a dock for my new Spectre, since it only provides USB-C. I've researched and learnt that the Spectre is not compatible with generic USB-C chargers, and only charges on HP USB-C chargers. Is there a compatible dock from HP in the works, or is there a third party one?

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

I think you must mean you have the Spectre 13 world's thinnest. I also have one. I can confirm it works with the HP usb-C charger 45w in addition to the somewhat larger adapter that ships wih it:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-45w-usb-c-ac-adapter?jumpid=ba_r329_hhocse&aoid=44661&003=6663635&0...

3rd party USB-C chargers do not work. That is correct. 

This dock will work. 

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA6-3246ENW&doctype=data%20sheet&doclang=EN_U...

Post back with any other questions. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response!

I'm not to keen on that particular dock, as my research turned up the following info:

"Although it works, I would no recommend this dock. It is actually a type-A dock with a type-C plug. It only uses the 5gbps USB 3.0 bandwith for all its connections."

I would obviously like to take advantage of thunderbolt bandwidth, but I gather that the HP Elite Thunderbolt 3 65W Dock
(P5Q54AA) probably won't charge my Spectre, and it is also quite pricey.

Thoughts? 🙂

HP Recommended

I have actually not tried an HP dock for my Spectre 13. I also have a Zbook 15 G3 mobile workstation that HP loaned me and they sent me a Zbook dock with it and that is working fairly well but will not work with the Spectre because it has a weird charging cable with both a standard center pin power connector and USB-C plug right next to it. I have been "docking" my Spectre by keeping its original AC adapter in a fixed location (my desk at home). I use the smaller 45w adapter for travel, keeping it in my briefcase. I bought a usb-C multifunction adapter that has gigabit ethernet, a DP and 2 x USB 3.0 ports which I use for keyboard and mouse, the DP for the monitor and the ethernet for network. I can have another USB 3.0 using the last USB-C port with the one-port adapter that shipped with the Spectre. I have the Spectre set up so I can connect the two USB-C devices (power and multi-purpose adapter) close the lid and it displays to the monitor and I can use mouse and keyboard. Not the most elegant but almost as good as a true docking station. The Thunderbolt bandwidth is great in theory but there are not a lot of devices that can take advantage of it right now. I am not sure exactly how you would be missing out using the dock but I think I paid $69 or so for the multi-purpose adapter and $45 for the 45w AC adapter on sale at Frys.   

HP Recommended

Thanks for your input once again!

I've been wondering about the Zbook dock and the weird charging cable you mention - since half of it is just a USB-C plug, would it possibly work to simply replace the weird cable with a regular USB-C to USB-C cable, foregoing the power supply? In that case, that would be a very nearly optimal solution, with only having to plug in two cables to the laptop when docking: USB-C from the charger for power, and USB-C from the dock for Thunderbolt connectivity. 

HP Recommended

But the other end of the weird cable is what supplies power to the dock so I don't think you could find something that both supplied power to the dock and then ended in just a USB-C connection and not the center pin power thing. 

HP Recommended

Ah i see - so the dock is actually powered by the PC and not the other way around? That's an interesting design 😮

HP Recommended

No the dock has its own power supply but the lead from the brick to the dock is a standard AC adapter and then the lead from the dock to the laptop is double headed on both ends. So it appears to be carrying power both on a USB-C lead and also on a center pin standard power supply thing. And every time you start the Zbook off the dock it tells you that USB-C powered operation is not supported. I have not tried the HP 45w on the Zbook but given to understand it would charge the battery when off but would not run the laptop. Anyway I am 100%  confident my Zbook dock is useless with the Spectre. I believe the other 2 docks, the one I linked and the one you linked, WOULD charge and run the Spectre. The Spectre has no pop up message saying USB-C power operation while on is not supported. It obviously is. 

HP Recommended

@Huffer

Are you able to tell us which dock you mention? The multifunction one? Was it an HP one or an aftermarket one?

Please provide a link to the product?

HP Recommended

Please start your own thread don't just tack onto old ones.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.