Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Thunderbolt Dock 230W G2 w/ Combo Cable 3TR87UT#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Has anyone used HP Thunderbolt Dock 230W G2 w/ Combo Cable 3TR87UT#ABA with the Spectre 2019 or 2020 model?  Is it better to use the 230W or HP Thunderbolt Dock 120W G2 2UK37UT#ABA? 

What is the advantage of using 230W over 120W?

I have tried to use the diplaylink search site but it does not give option to search for thunderbolt and usb c.  I want to take advantage of both thunderbolt and usb c for my new 2020 model HP Spectre x360 Laptop - 15t-eb000 touch 7PU81AV_1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello

Thunderbolt Dock G2 230W with combo cable make sense you you have a Zbook from G3 and newer generations.

Thunderbolt Dock G2 120W , is tha same dockign but with a 120W poer supply and has only USB conenctor to power Elitebook and Probook.

Spectre is not in the list because is a consumer notebook and HP just certified the Thunderbolt Dock G2 with Commercial computer.

I use a TB dock G2 with my Elitebook , but I don't have a Spectre to make a test.

here the datasheet of 120W version:

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA7-1989ENW&doctype=data%20sheet&doclang=EN_U...

these are the notes included in that datasheet:

1. The dock power button is not functional when connected to non-supported HP notebooks or non-HP notebooks.

2. Your computer might support Wake on LAN from the Off, Sleep or Hibernate States, or only when the computer is On or in Sleep.

3. Your computer might support MAC Address Pass Through the On, Off, Sleep or Hibernate States, or only when the computer is On or in Sleep.

4. WLAN – LAN switching is supported only on select computers running Windows 10 operating system.

5. The HP Thunderbolt™ Dock G2 is designed to USB-C™/Thunderbolt™ Industry specs and will support charging and port replication for notebooks that have implemented USB-C™ and Thunderbolt™ industry specifications.

Thunderbolt™ host systems require Thunderbolt™ software (minimum SW17.x).

Ethernet and audio drivers need to be installed separately on non-HP Windows systems for headset auto switching functionality.

Drivers available on HP website.

For MAC PCs, HP does not provide ethernet and audio drivers.

Firmware updates on Window-based host systems only.

Certain features are not functional on non-HP supported nor non-HP notebooks:

Power button to turn on or wake the system.

Wake on LAN from warm and cold dock.

Wake on LAN from S4/S5.

MAC Address Pass Through S0, S3, S4, S5 warm and cold dock

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Minhvu2 

Did you check the compatible list, which is

Compatible with HP Elite x2 1012 G1; HP Elite x2 1012 G2; HP Pro x2 612 G2; HP EliteBook Folio G1; HP EliteBook x360 1030 G2; HP EliteBook x360 1020 G2; HP EliteBook 1040 G4; HP EliteBook 800 G5; HP EliteBook 700 G5; HP ProBook 600 G4; HP ProBook 400 G5; ZBook 14u G5; ZBook 15u G5; HP ZBook 17 G3; HP ZBook 15 G3; HP ZBook 17 G4; HP ZBook 15 G4

Your machine is NOT on the list, why you are trying to spend money for thing which won't work properly ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Banhien,

The hp sales agents are telling me to buy either one.  I will cancel my docking station order.

Do you have a recommendation?

HP Recommended

Hello

Thunderbolt Dock G2 230W with combo cable make sense you you have a Zbook from G3 and newer generations.

Thunderbolt Dock G2 120W , is tha same dockign but with a 120W poer supply and has only USB conenctor to power Elitebook and Probook.

Spectre is not in the list because is a consumer notebook and HP just certified the Thunderbolt Dock G2 with Commercial computer.

I use a TB dock G2 with my Elitebook , but I don't have a Spectre to make a test.

here the datasheet of 120W version:

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA7-1989ENW&doctype=data%20sheet&doclang=EN_U...

these are the notes included in that datasheet:

1. The dock power button is not functional when connected to non-supported HP notebooks or non-HP notebooks.

2. Your computer might support Wake on LAN from the Off, Sleep or Hibernate States, or only when the computer is On or in Sleep.

3. Your computer might support MAC Address Pass Through the On, Off, Sleep or Hibernate States, or only when the computer is On or in Sleep.

4. WLAN – LAN switching is supported only on select computers running Windows 10 operating system.

5. The HP Thunderbolt™ Dock G2 is designed to USB-C™/Thunderbolt™ Industry specs and will support charging and port replication for notebooks that have implemented USB-C™ and Thunderbolt™ industry specifications.

Thunderbolt™ host systems require Thunderbolt™ software (minimum SW17.x).

Ethernet and audio drivers need to be installed separately on non-HP Windows systems for headset auto switching functionality.

Drivers available on HP website.

For MAC PCs, HP does not provide ethernet and audio drivers.

Firmware updates on Window-based host systems only.

Certain features are not functional on non-HP supported nor non-HP notebooks:

Power button to turn on or wake the system.

Wake on LAN from warm and cold dock.

Wake on LAN from S4/S5.

MAC Address Pass Through S0, S3, S4, S5 warm and cold dock

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.