Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Gaming Pavilion 15-cx0056wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, does anyone know if the 15-cx0056wm configuration of the HP Gaming Pavilion model has an M.2 PCIe slot that supports an SSD / Intel Optane module? Thanks, Dan.

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Inside with back removed:

M.2 red HDD greenM.2 red HDD green

Service Manual

See p. 2. The M.2 slot can handle an NVME M.2 or an Optane module. However, since this is a Wal-Mart Black Friday model please do not buy upgrade parts unless you first open it and check to be sure the slot is present. Often it is not on WalMart models with model number ending xxwm.

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thank you very much! But I will wait a little bit more for a definite answer about the M.2 PCIe slot in the particular HP 15-cx0056wm model. 

HP Recommended

You ain't getting anything more definite from HP. You have to open it to check.If you are needing this information to decide whether to buy it then I would say don't.  

HP Recommended

Mine had the slot. Very accessible but doesn't have a screw for holding down the drives. I installed a NVME and the cover has a ridge that presses it in place. Got it to be accessible using Easus but haven't been able to use it as my boot drive yet which is the only reason to buy an NVME IMHO. Capture.JPG

HP Recommended

I would urge you to put a screw in there. Why can't you get the system to boot from it? Take out the other drive and see if the system will boot to it. I see you have some data on it so I presume you cloned the system to it. 

HP Recommended

That's my next move. I was waiting for my USB/SATA adapter so I could try to boot from the USB and then run the clone with my latest config. Then hopefully I can reboot after removing the USB and It will see the NVME and then I can scrub the HDD and put it back in as storage. Just haven't been motivated since I got the adapter on Friday. As far as the screw goes, not sure what size nor did I see a thread in the plastic and I certainly don't want to force it to self thread. 

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Screws on the way, NVME is now my boot drive. just had to pull HDD. Noticeable speed increase! Formatted old HDD as storage and I'm off and running.Capture.JPG

HP Recommended

Appreciate the info and just sayin' you got the solution here and Forum etiquette says assign a solution and not to yourself. This helps others searching from the internet to find it and gives credit where credit is due. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.