Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
5CD6172JXN
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have HP pavillion 15-au003tx laptop and i want to add ssd to it with hdd.

Does this model has m2 port in motherboard for ssd.

i have seen in several forum that it has but i am unable to identify the same.

Kindly reply..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You cannot add an M.2 slot. That had to be done at the factory that made the motherboard and they left it off. 

You do not want to put an SSD in an optical caddy where the DVD drive connects. It is a slower port and you cannot boot from such a drive, Your best option is to install a 2.5 inch SSD where the hard drive is located. This will not take any extra hardware. If you want to keep the hard drive for storage you can use the optical caddy and put the original hard drive in it.

Post back with any more questions but please accept as solution if this is the answer you needed.  

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi! @Pritam6, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand you would like to know if you can upgrade the hard drive to M.2 SSD on your laptop.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

I have checked the specifications of the laptop and yes there is an m.2 SSD slot available on your laptop. And you should be able to install M.2 to SSD on your PC.

Please find the possible M.2 hard drive upgrades and part number for your laptop.

Solid-state drive board 856210-001 GNRC

SSD 256 GB 2280 M2 SATA3 Value 865902-001

GNRC SSD 128 GB 2280 M2 SATA-3 Value 827560-016

Refer the laptop user guide for more information. Link: https://hp.care/2ApPB72

Note: Page 17 for more information.

If you are you are trying to install the operating system to the M.2 SSD, you have to change the boot priority to M.2 in BIOS.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope to this answers your query!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for all the datails mentioned but as i have seen that there is no m2 port present in the mother board of this model.

I have attached a pic of my laptops motherboard.

Pls see the same...as per specification mentioned in the document it should have m2 port but i have not been able to get the same.

Waiting for your positive response..IMG_20180518_102102.jpg

HP Recommended

@Pritam6, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

Thanks for sharing the details.

In order to install an M.2 SDD on your PC, you have to install an SSD drive board on your PC.

Please find the part number listed below.

Solid-state drive board 856210-001 GNRC

Once you install this part you should be able to install an M.2 SSD on your PC.

Please mark my post as accepted solution if you feel I have answered your query.

Hope this answers your query!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

On that model series the M.2 is supposed to be to the left of the hard drive but on some models there is no slot there just the traces on the motherboard:

M.2 traces circledM.2 traces circled

HP Recommended

Thanks for your prompt response.

So how can i connect to that m2 trace you have marked.

Can you pls guide me through the process need to go through??

HP Recommended

Thanks for your promp response!!

Pls guide me from where can i get the m2 SSD drive board and how to install this??

Also i have heard about the option of installing 2.5 inch ssd to hdd caddy and attaching it to the sata port, where optical dvd drive is connected.

Pls suggest for this model which is the wisest way to do??

I want to experience the performance of SSD in my PC???

Once again thank you very much for your precious time and waiting for your positive response on my querry..

HP Recommended

You cannot add an M.2 slot. That had to be done at the factory that made the motherboard and they left it off. 

You do not want to put an SSD in an optical caddy where the DVD drive connects. It is a slower port and you cannot boot from such a drive, Your best option is to install a 2.5 inch SSD where the hard drive is located. This will not take any extra hardware. If you want to keep the hard drive for storage you can use the optical caddy and put the original hard drive in it.

Post back with any more questions but please accept as solution if this is the answer you needed.  

HP Recommended

Again Thanks for your response!! 

I am going to do the same as you are suggesting, but my doubt lying in the mistach in specification mentioned in the hp maintenance guide and actual scenario.

Pls clarify me whether this model of hp comes with m2 slot or not??

HP Recommended

You have seen it with your own eyes. It does not have an M.2 port. The Manual does say the M.2 is on selected models and your model is not selected. There is no way to know in advance of buying it whether it has an M.2 slot. You are not the first by a long shot to report this. What you have to understand is HP does not care if you can upgrade or not. They do not support it and they feel no obligation to provide you full information about what will or will not work. They sell it to you the way they make it and officially they do not want you to upgrade. They grudgingly tolerate upgrades and allow this Forum to exist where you can get information from volunteers who follow what happens with others and help as much as we can. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.