Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 17-Ca0XXX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I wanted to find out if HP has a center I can send this computer to for upgrades? I'm not familiar with opening the back of this laptop the computer is brand new and under warranty, I wanted to add another 8 Gb of ram and a 500 GB SSD drive, also looking for pricing for labor and the two parts I mentioned, if someone could direct me to this information I would appreciate that. thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your Service Manual:

Manual 

Start on p. 37 for rear cover removal. If you have not worked on a laptop for a while it may seem odd but in the last 3 or 4 years it has become the norm for laptops to be sealed, without any easy customer access panels. Just means you need to remove the whole rear panel. Not that hard to do; I just upgraded an HP laptop yesterday with bigger SSD and more RAM for a friend. 

The two hard parts are getting the rubber strips off the bottom and keeping them in condition  to be reattached and then actually separating the two plastic pieces; i.e. the top cover and base unit. Be sure to have a plastic nonmarring tool to use. And old credit card actually works pretty well but you can buy a spudger kit for a few bucks on amazon.com. A big guitar pick also works well.

This model is not the same number as yours but the insides are the same so this video is very instructional for you. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51aRDab3DpA

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

I had searched around for a way to get into my laptop. Then I saw how easy it was to remove the DVD drive... This should help you do your upgrades. 10 screws + 2 screws behind the DVD then you are in. Bios tip: to set your priority it was F10 during the boot. There is a good free cloning program ...
21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hi @Paulzpc123

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the upgrade query. 

I'm afraid, HP service centers will not upgrade the hardware. You may take your notebook to a local repair store, they should be able to help you with the upgrade. 

May I have the exact model name of the computer? Refer to this document for steps to find the product details. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

With the product details, I should be able to help you with the service guide to open the back panel of the computer. 

Let me know. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual 

Access instructions begin on p. 37. We do need to know the exact model of the laptop to see its specs which will determine which upgrade parts it can accept. 

We can also link you to instructional videos. Upgrading memory and storage is very doable by someone with very minimal technical skills. 

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Yes, an instruction video would be awesome.

HP Recommended

Model number? Please work with me here.

HP Recommended

Product name : HP Laptop 17-ca0xxx
Product number : 6LM31UA#ABA

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

That's very close, yes the back of the computer is completely sealed, even the battery is under this cover, I have some knowledge as to open computers but this one seems odd to me, and I'm getting older...I just wanted to make sure I didn't destroy a cable or other wiring while opening the back cover..this model you sent me is similar, only the product number is off mine has XXX    17-caOxxx

HP Recommended

I was primarily interested in whether you have the AMD A9 series APU or a Ryzen processor. This will determine what kind of SSD and how much memory can be installed. 

HP Recommended

Processor name : AMD A9-9425 RADEON R5, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.