Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp 15-ay009tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey guys, I was thinking of upgrading my storage and I wanted to know if my laptop has a m.2 slot for ssd upgrade??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry no it does not. Here's the Service Manual:

Manual

See p. 66. An M.2 SATA SSD was offered as an option but uses an adapter sled and cable in place of the 2.5 inch hard drive so you can install either/or but not both. Your fastest best value storage option is a 2.5 inch SATA SSD installed using the mounting hardware for the 2.5 inch hard drive. The performance upgrade from a 2.5 inch SATA SSD over a mechanical hard drive should not be underestimated: it is significant. 

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Sorry no it does not. Here's the Service Manual:

Manual

See p. 66. An M.2 SATA SSD was offered as an option but uses an adapter sled and cable in place of the 2.5 inch hard drive so you can install either/or but not both. Your fastest best value storage option is a 2.5 inch SATA SSD installed using the mounting hardware for the 2.5 inch hard drive. The performance upgrade from a 2.5 inch SATA SSD over a mechanical hard drive should not be underestimated: it is significant. 

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying, but your answer increases my doubts. I chatted with HP support via WhatsApp and this is what they replied.  hp support.JPG

HP Recommended

As I said HP offered it with an M.2 but only with a sled that takes the place of the hard drive. I gave you the Manual with pictures to prove the point. HP Chat Support does not have any hands on experience with these things. They just read specs and jump to conclusions. You are welcome to buy an M.2 SSD and then open it and scratch you head as to where to find your slot. Good luck. 

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I am not a big fan of the WD Green. Of those, the Kingston would be better. My usual recommendation is a Samsung 860. 

HP Recommended

What about crucial mx series?

HP Recommended

Recent versions seem OK but some of the older ones caused a lot of issues here a few years back. I tend to do Samsung when  money is not the primary thing and Adata when I am trying to go as cheap as possible. I have even had pretty good luck with no-name 2.5 inch SATA SSDs like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Zheino-360gb-Internal-Notebook-Desktop/dp/B07J38XS9M/ref=sr_1_12_sspa?keyword...

HP Recommended

Is there a ssd storage size limit for my laptop? If so, can you tell me how much is the limit? And would it better to go for he full limit or a size less(if max =500, would it be better to go for 250 rather than 500 itself?). Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.