Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 840 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to buy a fast nvme m.2 ssd for my laptop. I found this ssd. Will this be compatible with my laptop? I want 1TB of storage. No less. Is this compatible?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual 

840 G.2 was a very early example of M.2 interface. It uses a 2260 form factor disk, not the 2280 more commonly in usage now. And it is a Gen 2 x2 NVME interface, not Gen 3 x4 as we see on current models so speed is somewhat limited. Still will be very fast. Maybe 1200 mbps instead of the 3000 + you get on 7th gen and newer models. 

So the M.2 SSD you ask about will not fit. 2260 drives are out there but a little hard to find as were not used for very long and now historical. The only one I found on amazon india is a 128 gig SATA 2260 M.2. 

Post back if you want more help and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Will this work in my laptop? And would it perform better than the ssd mentioned in my original post? I just want some real good speed with good storage.

HP Recommended

Will work in your laptop but will be nowhere as fast as the drive in your first post. That is a SATA 2.5 inch. Use that in place of the hard drive. SATA disks are going to give you about 550 mbps read speed. So almost 3 times as fast as a mechanical hard drive, half as fast as an x2 NVME and about a fifth as fast as an x4 NVME. Still its all relative. The SATA 2.5 inch SSD will make a computer run way faster for boot time, program response, etc. and is not to be dismissed lightly. It's an excellent, worthwhile upgrade. 

HP Recommended

No this m.2 ssd will not  support your laptop. As it is 2280, which means a 8cm m.2 ssd. You need to purchase m.2 2240 which will be compatible.

Check this out:

https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-512GB-MTS430S-Solid-TS512GMTS430S/dp/B07MSQMGLT

I am only a user not a hp professional.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.