Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion v15 ab203nk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does this pc support M.2 SSD?  

I want also to install an HDD caddy does it support SATA 3 ?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is the Manual:

Manual

See p. 3. It supports 2.5 inch SATA-III SSD or mechanical hard drive and also M.2 SATA disk. 

The trouble is, I do not see in the manual where the M.2 slot is located. There is no picture of it and I see the 2.5 inch drive connects to the motherboard with a ribbon cable. On some similar models the M.2 SATA disk can only be installed in lieu of a 2.5 inch drive by using a caddy and connector that attaches to the same ribbon cable zif connector as would the hard drive. I also see that HP does not offer a configuration that has both a 2.5 inch hard drive and also an M.2. My conclusion after looking at a lot of Manuals is that this model cannot have both an M.2 disk and a 2.5 inch SATA-III disk. I could figure it out 100% by getting my hands on one and removing the back cover but unable to do that.

A SATA M.2 is not faster than a 2.5 inch SATA SSD so my advice is to install a 2.5 inch SSD.

You asked about a HDD caddy and I am thinking you may be asking about an optical (DVD drive) type caddy and no, that would not be SATA-III.  

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Here is the Manual:

Manual

See p. 3. It supports 2.5 inch SATA-III SSD or mechanical hard drive and also M.2 SATA disk. 

The trouble is, I do not see in the manual where the M.2 slot is located. There is no picture of it and I see the 2.5 inch drive connects to the motherboard with a ribbon cable. On some similar models the M.2 SATA disk can only be installed in lieu of a 2.5 inch drive by using a caddy and connector that attaches to the same ribbon cable zif connector as would the hard drive. I also see that HP does not offer a configuration that has both a 2.5 inch hard drive and also an M.2. My conclusion after looking at a lot of Manuals is that this model cannot have both an M.2 disk and a 2.5 inch SATA-III disk. I could figure it out 100% by getting my hands on one and removing the back cover but unable to do that.

A SATA M.2 is not faster than a 2.5 inch SATA SSD so my advice is to install a 2.5 inch SSD.

You asked about a HDD caddy and I am thinking you may be asking about an optical (DVD drive) type caddy and no, that would not be SATA-III.  

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

thank you so much for the answer.

a little question about the HDD caddy does any HDD caddy works with this pc or I should buy a specific one ?

For the M.2 port I guess when I will update ram I will post here a picture of the cover. it can help !

Than you again

HP Recommended

Post a good clear picture of the whole motherboard and surrounding area once you get the back cover off to upgrade the RAM. And to be clear we ARE taling about an optical drive caddy you use to install a hard drive where the DVD drive is located now? The laptop uses a 9.5 mm thick DVD burner so you have to use a 9.5mm optical bay caddy like this:

https://www.jacobsparts.com/items/HDDBAY-02/

There are dozens of these on the market but they are all essentially made the same and one like the above will work. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.