Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavillion dv7t-7000 (A3G47AV)
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I dropped my laptop while carrying it in my laptop bag.   It slid from my shoulder and fell about 2 to 2.5 feet. it landed hard. The computer was in the bag hidge side up, so it was the edge opposite the display hidge that took the impact.

Upon starting the computer up again, I found it worked fine with an external monitor, but the internal display no longer worked. I can only see an image on it when I shine a light directly into the display. This is the 1920x1080 LED.

I've tried unplugging/pulling battery and holding down the power button for more than a minute, but it didn't work. 

Is there a fuse in this computer protecting the display that may have popped out? Would getting a new display resolve the probelm, or is it possible the problem may not be in the display itself so replacing the display won't fix it? 

Thanks

Walt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you reseated the cable and nothing happened then the display panel needs to be replaced. 

You also want to go into UEFI diagnostics (F2 as you power up) and run the full, long-form component tests. 

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

If you are still seeing an image on the screen while shining a light on it then the motherboard of the computer is fine. In the old days we would say your backlight was damaged or perhaps was disconnected, but laptop screens these days do not have separate backlights, and there is no fuse. It is possible the display cable was damaged and also possible the place where the screen cable connects to the screen was damaged on the screen back. With a drop like that, it really needs to be examined by a competent technician or we can get you the Manual and we can walk you through step by step troubleshooting. 

HP Recommended
Ok, I'm game. I've already pulled the cable from the display and reseated it. But it didn't fix anything. I have a multimeter also to help in diagnosing the problem.
HP Recommended

If you reseated the cable and nothing happened then the display panel needs to be replaced. 

You also want to go into UEFI diagnostics (F2 as you power up) and run the full, long-form component tests. 

HP Recommended

Do you mean the "System Extensive Test?

HP Recommended

Yes, that. 

HP Recommended

Ran it over night and it passed all the items except:

Hard Drive Optimized DST Check : Not Available

Battery Check: Primary - Weak (30)

But I knew about the weak battery.

Now, I haven't reseated the cable where it attaches to the motherboard. I only reseated it at the display. Could a drop caused the cable to dislodge from the motherboard?

HP Recommended

Yes it absolutely could have. 

HP Recommended

But in my case, it did not.

I opened up the case and reseated the display cable at the motherboard as well now, and the display still has no backlight.

I'll be getting a replacement display in a couple days. Hopefully that will resolve the problem. 

HP Recommended

If not the cable is damaged and the next step is to try a new cable. If that does not work then the place where the cable plugs into the motherboard maybe was damaged and that would take a new motherboard. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.