Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 - 15-cn1018nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I would like to upgrade the memory on my laptop without removing the original m2 ssd.

The manual says that both ssd m2 and SATA and HHD are supported and also shows examples of an HDD-SSD mix, but I would like to keep the M2 SSD and add a 2.5" SSD. 

Space shouldnt be a problem as the slot is free, but would there be a problem from the software side?

I would be adding an 870 EVO from Samsung.

If needed, the laptop is the 256 GB M2 SSD version with the 8th gen i5.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes. I dual boot Linux all the time across 2 different drives. Put the bootloader on the original SSD and then the / of Linux on the hard drive and clear a space and put your Linux partitions on it. Also should be possible to dual boot 2 versions of Windows although I see no reason to do that, really. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

No software problem the new drive would just have to be initialized formatted and partitioned to use as extra storage and the OS and apps would stay on the M.2 SSD. You would need these parts which are not included from the factory:

(5b) Hard drive rubber sleeve L21894-001
(5c) Hard drive cable L20103-001

I searched on some European sites like eBay and amazon and came up empty, however.  HP Partsurfer may or may not have them. Good luck. 

HP Recommended

Thank you very much. I also couldn't find those exact parts as I've seen them in the manual. I'll keep searching though.

Do you know if it would be possible to create a dual boot then using the cumulative space?

HP Recommended

Yes. I dual boot Linux all the time across 2 different drives. Put the bootloader on the original SSD and then the / of Linux on the hard drive and clear a space and put your Linux partitions on it. Also should be possible to dual boot 2 versions of Windows although I see no reason to do that, really. 

HP Recommended

Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.