Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ProBook 430 G5 Renew 2SY16EA
Linux

Hello

I have HP ProBook 430 G5 Renew 2SY16EA and inside this laptop is ECC based RAM

Hynix 4GB PC4-2400T 1Rx16 HMA851S6AFR6N-UH

Link to the RAM

https://www.skhynix.com/products.view.do?vseq=2062&cseq=75

Now ECC RAM is really rare inside laptops and its not compatible with non ECC based RAM so its really hard to get an upgrade.

I would like to know what exactly is benefit of having a ECC memory inside a laptop and why HP used this memory and how it benefits the device itself?

Overall on the internet i found information that it is something mainly put inside a servers,that it has an extra chip and that particular RAM is used to prevent the data corruption and make device to perform work 24/7.

Trick with this laptop is that officially,it should have non ECC based RAM so i am not really sure what should i do with this unit.is this hidden gem among the devices or i got a malfunctioned unit(since its not what i bought originally)and should i return it and request new one from local import company that represent HP in particular region.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day 😉

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Seeing the same RAM being sold as non-ECC.

https://www.amazon.com/Hynix-PC4-19200-DDR4-2400MHz-Unbuffered-HMA851S6AFR6N-UH/dp/B071DVVJNL

Does it say ECC on it? 

DDR4 ECC SO-DIMMDDR4 ECC SO-DIMM

See the extra little black chip right below the label? You are correct that ECC RAM has an extra chip that handles the error correction function. You are also right it generally costs more and is not widely available through consumer channels. 

The Zbook Mobile workstations can optionally have a Xeon processor and those use DDR4 ECC memory but anything using an Intel Core processor or anything other than a Xeon will work fine with non-ECC RAM. You can safely replace that memory with non-ECC modules. 

HP Recommended

That is not the RAM memory that i have inside a laptop

This is the RAM

https://www.etb-tech.com/hynix-4gb-pc4-2400t-1rx16-hma851s6afr6n-uh-ref.html#.WzZXq599JCV

And this is the manufacture link to that particular RAM

https://www.skhynix.com/products.view.do?vseq=2062&cseq=75

Please check and let me know more.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Also when non ECC RAM is put into the laptop it result in 4 beeps,two low and two high pitced follows.

HP Recommended

The Hynix part number is the same is what I do not understand (I compared it character by character several times) although the picture from the website you linked does show ECC memory. One site says it is ECC and one says it is not. Do you have a picture of your module? I assure you that model computer does not need ECC memory and I would have thought it will not work with ECC memory inserted. Are you having any problems with the laptop or do you just want to expand the memory?

HP Recommended

RAM memory that you provided is not the same,you linked:

Hynix 4GB PC4-19200

and mine is

Hynix 4GB PC4-2400T 1Rx16 HMA851S6AFR6N-UH

It is literally the same serial number and not the one that you mentioned.Also i linked you manufacturer link with the same serial that i have that does say its ECC.

And yes i do want to upgrade the device,i want two sticks of 8GB(16GB in total)but problem is in fact that non ECC RAM should be on the device,not the one with ECC support,i bought a product and got something that was not advertised neither its mentioned anywhere on the product itself.

This RAM is much harder to buy and since i got a product with something on it that it should not be originally,i am interested to know what exactly should i do with it,use ECC RAM because it have benefits over non ECC or return device as malfunction device or purchased as"not as advertised"and get new unit that should had non ECC RAM?

Regards

HP Recommended

And also let me add that picture is the same from the link that i provided to you,just for the reference Original RAM.jpg

HP Recommended
Its also exactly the same module I linked from Amazon. Look. Again. Guaranteed. Your laptop does not need ECC memory. Checking out. Good luck.
HP Recommended

Can you tell me do you see that for product that you have sent me there is a different product picture and name of the product?

Usually products are reffered by its name and not by its picture so the link that you provided i can not use as something veifyable since they include 2 different products on the same page.

Can you escalate this to HP support team to check?

Thanks

HP Recommended

No I do not see the difference. Any minor discrepancies are meaningless. The picture and the title of the product page denote the same thing and I did try to escalate so I have done all I can here.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.