Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-ap0050tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I would like to request help for my EGPU connectivity problem since the 13th or 14th of October.

I got this HP Spectre x360 - 13-ap0050tu in March, together with an Aorus Gaming Box RTX2070 EGPU. 

This combo has been running well - until recently, with the WIN 10 1903 builds.

Build 295 still worked - then builds .329 and 356 somehow disabled the EGPU.

Then build 418 enabled the EGPU again.  

Here's a screenshot of the build scenarios WIN 10 1809 and 1903  .418  in which the EGPU worked perfectly fine.

The EGPU has been running well with Geforce driver 419.35 and Thunderbolt Software 17.4.77.400. I would boot up Windows and then hotplug the EGPU. 

Then I would hear a double chime which then enabled me to approve the EGPU at Port 1 ; the EGPU RGB lights would then light up and it would be up and running.

12cAJsGMMKpMx7

However, since last week - either October 13th or 14th ( around the time of HP bios update F.33, although I can't be sure that's related to my problem ), I totally lost EGPU functionality again and it's not showing up in Device Manager anymore - not even with show Hidden devices. Only the Intel HD620 shows up.

The double-chime has also disappeared; it was just a single chime.

So I did a Win 10 reset, wiping both files and apps ; but to no avail, the EGPU RGB lights still light up, the fan spins, it seems to run and the Thunderbolt Software does display it as approved and connected at Port 1.  

I tried updating the Thunderbolt Software to 17.4.78.500 from your HP driver download website, but that didn't help either.

Whether I install build .295 or .418 doesn't seem to help matters either anymore, whereas they were stable working before.

Trying to install the Geforce drivers now results into the error can't find compatible hardware.

I started digging a little deeper in Device Manager, while plugging and unplugging the TB3 EGPU cable from Port 1 and also trying it on Port 2. Neither helped.

However, in Device Manager I found a code 45 Device Descriptor Request Failed under the USB controllers, as you can see in the following screenshots.

After some investigation, this lead me to suspect a registry problem for the EGPU device ID.

I did a SFC/scannow, but this came up with zero errors.

LfoxRWkAboZhrV

So it seems that Windows fails to identify the EGPU at the USB controller.

Around the 13th or 14th of October I did notice the system upgraded BIOS to version F.33.

Looking into it, I couldn't find USB Security Levels settings - since I also suspected it might have something to do 

with the Thunderbolt Software running SL 1.

I am really at a loss now  the EGPU is literally an 800 dollar paperweight.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Knot3D

Welcome back 🙂

I hope it all works out well. Keep us posted if anything.

Thanks 🙂

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Knot3D

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

I understand. Do not worry, we'll try a few steps here. Let's start with a BIOS recovery: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02693833

Once done if the issue persists, let's uninstall and reinstall the generic USB drivers:

1) In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select Device Manager from the list of results.

2) In Device Manager, expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

3) Right-click on all the generic USB drivers one at a time, and then select Uninstall device > Delete the driver software for this device check box > Uninstall.

4) Restart the computer.  

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Betty,

I created a BIOS usb recovery drive using the latest bios download, then pressed Windows key + B and held the power button for 2-3 seconds. I also tried this with Windows key + V key. 

In both cases, it simply said "Failed to find BIOS signature file"  - even though the .sig file is clearly on the USB flash drive.

( on other tries, it even prompted the Bitlocker Key verification ).

On a sidenote: I do actually suspect the F.33 bios to be the culprit ( aside from the Windows 1903 builds .329 and 356 which have been known to cause this TB3 EGPU issue ), as everything was fine on the previous version F.32.

However, it seems there is no way to find bios F.32 anymore, let alone roll back to that version.

The method of uninstalling the USB controllers, is something I tried prior to posting this thread, but unfortunately without result.

HP Recommended

I recommend you to contact the HP Support Team as this could be a hardware issue.

Link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Maybe ask ta egpu.io.

The guys there are experts at eGPU setups and maybe they can help you.

HP Recommended

Yeah, I've been at the egpu.io forums since I got the gaming boc. 

They suggested checking out the TB3 security levels in bios; which I tried, but alas HP bios F33 doesnt allow users to see or alter that.

Anyway, I brought the laptop to a local HP service center. Although, they initially couldn't find any usb controller issue, they requested me to provide the egpu so they could troubleshoot specifically.

Eventually, they found a hardware issue with the motherboard. As I suspected, fortunately the issue was not my egpu.

They messaged me today they just received the replacement mobo and they'll be testing it all out.

to be continued....

HP Recommended

@Knot3D

Welcome back 🙂

I hope it all works out well. Keep us posted if anything.

Thanks 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sweet! 🙂

Hoping to hear from you soon.

HP Recommended

Hi Betty,

Yesterday I could finally receive my laptop back.

Turns out it was a motherboard defect - although it did take them a while to diagnose this.

I think it was the 30th of October I brought the laptop to HP service center Makati, Metro Manila - Philippines.

I moved here from the Netherlands since December 2018 - The external graphics card was shipped over from

the Netherlands in April 2019.

Until November 4th, they couldn't find the issue I described - so they requested me to provide the external graphics card, 

so they could try and replicate the issue scenario. Personally, I had very little doubt about the external GPU being the culprit

although there's always a slight chance of course ( since it shipped by speed express courier ).

Since the laptop was within full warranty, the motherboard and some other parts were replaced free of charge.

The laptop + EGPU combo now works fine again  - although I do have to say, it seems that EGPU users worldwide are 

experiencing a lot of  these Windows 10 Thunderbolt 3 problems since Win 10 1903, which basically renders their EGPU's useless.  It's bizarre to see consumers being victim of what seems to be a Microsoft versus Intel struggle.

Anyway, thank you for pointing me in the correct direction! 

HP Recommended

That is a very informative report and I am glad to see HP Support went so far as to test the laptop with your eGPU. Happy to hear it all got worked out. I do not use an eGPU but can confirm that use of Thunderbolt 3 ports has been a rocky ride with different Windows 10 updates. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.