Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavillon x360 Convertible 15-br000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

ELAN Touchpad is erratic in operation -- arrow will freeze, not move, etc.  What is current driver for ELAN Touchpad using Windows 10 v1903?  Installed driver = 18.2.23.3, date = 2018-03-21.  Thank you in advance for your help.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@GeneNIL

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8.

BIOS default: 

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Next, uninstall Touchpad device from device manager.

1. Use shortcut keys Win + X on Windows 10.
  2. Select Device Manager.
  3. Expand the entry. Right-click the Mice and other pointing device and select Uninstall device. (all the listed option under Mice and another pointing device)
  4. You may need to check the option Delete the driver software for this device, and then click the Uninstall button.
  5. Reboot the computer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Echo_Lake,

The ELAN issues may have been noticed following the most recent Win 10 upgrade to v1903, the person who owns the computer is unclear about how long the issues have occurred.  No hardware changes.  Software changes with recommended updates for Win 10 and from HP Support Assistant.

Completed the suggested resets in recommendation and the ELAN device appears  to be working correctly; have not opened any apps to gauge repair of problem in the app.  With the resets, the ELAN app -- where you can enable or disable gestures recognized on the touchpad -- does not open from a Control Panel search when Touchpad is selected.  Prior to resets, items  where disabled to not have the touchpad react, for example to the user's palm hitting the touchpad while typing.  Is there another place to locate similar settings or can "Touchpad" be repaired to open the ELAN app?

Thank you!

GeneNIL

HP Recommended

@GeneNIL
Thank you for posting back. 

Let's try this ELAN Touchpad Driver and check. Click here to download the software.

Note: Firstly, Uninstall the current driver from device manager and then install the ELAN Touchpad Driver. 

Keep me posted!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Echo_Lake,

Thank you for the driver link.  Using the driver, the ELAN app is back, usable and has had some gestures reset.  Again, the ELAN device appears  to be working correctly but have not opened any apps (like Word, Excel, etc.) to gauge repair of problem in the apps.  Time and use will tell if the resets and older driver address the reported issue.  I will post an update in the coming days to, hopefully, close this successfully!

Thank you for your help.

GeneNIL

HP Recommended

@GeneNIL
Glad to hear that the issue is resolved. If you need any help, feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.