Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
EliteBook 8770w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've recently built a custom 8770w. Specs as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3490XM Extreme Edition

RAM: 2x 16 GB DDR3-1600

GPU: NVIDIA Quadro K5100M

HDD: 2x 2 TB SATA III 6 GB/s (RAID 0)

I'm having issues with the GPU. It doesn't seem to recognize it correctly. Instead, it's just saying "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".  However, the Hardware ID seems to be correct (PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11B8&SUBSYS_176C103C&REV_A1).

All NVIDIA driver packages I've tried to install were "unable to find compatible hardware" or even "incompatible with this version of Windows".

I have no idea what to do. I need it to work ASAP. Please help!Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This is for Windows 7 but gives the general idea. Right click on the "Basic Display" in device manager and update driver...use the "have disk" to point the installer to the folder where the inf file is extracted and don't pay any attention to any warnings. Make it take the driver if possible. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyKrxxXOvQY

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Where did you get the MXM video card? HP mobile workstations are known to be pretty finicky about which MXM cards will work, and the K5100M is not in the Service Manual as an original HP option. How do you have the video set up in the BIOS? Have you tried to force install the driver? The nVidia installer may not work as an .exe but you can point the hardware installer to the folder on the hard drive where the .inf file is located. If you tried to install the nVidia driver package it has already been extracted to the hard drive likely in a folder called Nvidia. 

HP Recommended

I got everything on eBay. The 8770w was listed as compatible in the description.

What exactly do you mean by "set up in the BIOS"? I can't find anything related there. BTW it says "nVidia 07/30/13" under "Video BIOS revision"...

Can you please elaborate on how to force install it? There's no NVIDIA folder, but I've extracted the .exe with Universal Extractor.

HP Recommended

This is for Windows 7 but gives the general idea. Right click on the "Basic Display" in device manager and update driver...use the "have disk" to point the installer to the folder where the inf file is extracted and don't pay any attention to any warnings. Make it take the driver if possible. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyKrxxXOvQY

HP Recommended

I think it worked! Thank you VERY much for your help!

HP Recommended

No problem

HP Recommended

Hi,

How did you make the motherboard recognize it at first? Which BIOS firmware did you use? Mine doesn't even show image...Please help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.