Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issues? Click here for tips and tricks.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Customer brought me an Elitebook 840 G1, complaining that she could never get the webcam to work.

After removing the screen bezel, I discovered the reason why: there is no webcam; this computer came equipped with the "mic-only" module. 

Am I correct in assuming that I should be able to just replace it with the correct webcam/mic combo module for this model, and that will give her a functioning webcam? Both modules appear to have the same number of pins on the cable connector.

One other complication: the screen bezel has the usual webcam port/hole at the top center (which is why the customer always assumed it had a webcam), but the port is opaque/black. See photo below. Is it possible that HP just slapped a black sticker or adhesive cover over that port on the mic-only models? I'm reluctant to try to remove it with an x-acto knife - don't wanna scratch the glass or something.

Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated.

840G1_webcam_portx.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Updates:

Yup, HP just slapped a little black adhesive disk over the bezel's webcam port on non-webcam models. I was able to carefully remove it using an x-acto knife.

Since I haven't gotten any replies, I just went ahead and ordered a webcam/mic combo module. Used ones are cheap enough. I'll install it and post the results here.

HP Recommended

Success.

I was able to "upgrade" to a webcam by just swapping out the module.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.