cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 3
28 21 0 10
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Elitebook 840 G1: replace mic-only module with webcam/mic module?

HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Customer brought me an Elitebook 840 G1, complaining that she could never get the webcam to work.

After removing the screen bezel, I discovered the reason why: there is no webcam; this computer came equipped with the "mic-only" module. 

Am I correct in assuming that I should be able to just replace it with the correct webcam/mic combo module for this model, and that will give her a functioning webcam? Both modules appear to have the same number of pins on the cable connector.

One other complication: the screen bezel has the usual webcam port/hole at the top center (which is why the customer always assumed it had a webcam), but the port is opaque/black. See photo below. Is it possible that HP just slapped a black sticker or adhesive cover over that port on the mic-only models? I'm reluctant to try to remove it with an x-acto knife - don't wanna scratch the glass or something.

Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated.

840G1_webcam_portx.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
28 21 0 10
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Updates:

Yup, HP just slapped a little black adhesive disk over the bezel's webcam port on non-webcam models. I was able to carefully remove it using an x-acto knife.

Since I haven't gotten any replies, I just went ahead and ordered a webcam/mic combo module. Used ones are cheap enough. I'll install it and post the results here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
28 21 0 10
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Success.

I was able to "upgrade" to a webcam by just swapping out the module.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation