Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy 13-aq0500sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone 🙂

Hope you can help me out with this issue. I purchased a HP Envy 13-aq0500sa laptop a few months ago, and overall it's been brilliant. One thing that hasn't been brilliant is the fingerprint scanner to log in, which was marketed prominently as a security feature.

After working for a while, the scanner has just stopped working. When I go to Windows settings, Windows Hello states that it can't detect a compatible fingerprint scanner. 

When I go to device manager, this is the message displayed with the scanner:

"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful."

When I search for an update for the driver, Windows states I have the best-suited one (or similar message). I have checked the drivers page for my device and both drivers which seem relevant come up with an error message saying they are not compatible with the operating system (Windows 10  Ver 2004)

So I'm hoping someone on here has had a similar problem and resolved it, or at least has the technical know-how to fix it.

Any help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for sharing this link. I had checked the drivers page for my laptop specifically and the ones on there weren't compatible with my operating system (I believe it's v2004). 

What I tried out in the end was uninstalling the driver and using the driver link in Kumar's post. The fingerprint scanner now works, hopefully will be fine. 

Thank you for all the suggestions and guidance 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@dnicholas57, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

• Open the Device Manager (Windows logo key + X  and select Device Manager). 

• Locate your fingerprint reader in the Biometric Devices section. 

• Double-click the device to open its properties. 

• Click Roll Back Driver. 

• Then click OK. Restart your computer and check for the functionality. 

If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Install the HP Simple Pass Identity Protection Software for Windows 10:  ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71729.exe

Check for the issue.

Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Also, check for any pending windows update. Reboot the computer. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately, the driver is still stubbornly refusing to work

The option to roll back the driver was greyed out, which I assume means that it doesn't have a previous version to roll back to. I installed the driver from your link and restarted but no luck. There was a pending windows update but this hasn't fixed it either.

HP Recommended

There are newer drivers here.

HP Recommended

Thanks for sharing this link. I had checked the drivers page for my laptop specifically and the ones on there weren't compatible with my operating system (I believe it's v2004). 

What I tried out in the end was uninstalling the driver and using the driver link in Kumar's post. The fingerprint scanner now works, hopefully will be fine. 

Thank you for all the suggestions and guidance 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.