Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY - 17m-bw0013dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased a preowned HP laptop HP ENVY - 17m-bw0013dx.  I was very impressed with the unit and how quite the system ran. I updated all the software and everything was working fine.   Until recently started hearing the fan spinning faster and louder which resulted in black screen with Error Msg 90B (The system has detected that a cooling fan is not operating correctly and the system will shut down in 15 sec.)  Right away, I  shutdown the system waited a while and than restart the system. After a few minutes kept getting the same Error Msg again. I went to HP Tech Support online to seek help. Used the tools provided and ran system diagnostics and passed all the tests but the problem kept happening again. I followed the hardware instruction by using compressed air as suggested to clear any dust from the vents and that didn't work either.  I searched for any new updates and the BIOS and all the HP suggested drivers were were updated as well. After checking with HP came to realize the Warranty had just expired. Hence, took the unit to Office Depot Tech Support and they ran a complete System Diagnostic Test/Stress Test and it passed all the tests and they were not able to duplicate the problem.  At this point I am not sure if: 

• This is a common problem?
  • This is a Software Issue?
  • This is a Hardware Issue?
  • I need to Replace The Fan?

Please advise. Thank you.....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It's not a software issue. The fan is throwing off an error code. That comes from hardware. You have done all the easy things. If the error Code keeps coming up you will need to replace the fan. We can help with instructions on how to do it and how to buy a replacement fan. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

It's not a software issue. The fan is throwing off an error code. That comes from hardware. You have done all the easy things. If the error Code keeps coming up you will need to replace the fan. We can help with instructions on how to do it and how to buy a replacement fan. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  Much appreciated. Since HP told me the unit  was out of warranty I took the laptop to a local HP Authorized Tech Service Center  (UbreakIFix) recommended by HP. They told me they need to reinstall the operating system to the factory setting and reset the laptop from beginning.  I asked if the problem still persist after that what would be the next solution? They told me they would look into replacing the FAN or "the sensor which is located on the motherboard needs to be addressed". At this point I was very much perplexed????   After evaluating all the options so far,  and since all the software diagnostics tests have shown the unit is functioning properly and has passed all the tests, I tend to agree with your assessment  that it must be hardware issue. 

Could you please send me the proper instructions for this model specifically on how to do it and how/where to buy an HP replacement fan for HP ENVY - 17m-bw0013dx. Furthermore, do you know anything in reference to the sensor issue located on the motherboard as they mentioned? Furthermore, by now I know there are many ways/options on running software diagnostics to check for any and all software issues on a system.  However, I could not find or don't know of any or is there any type of Software Diagnostics that exclusively can test and check the Hardware health/malfunctions on this laptop?

Thank you again for taking the time. God Bless...

HP Recommended

Service Manual:

Manual 

"How to" on p. 44 but it also tells you where to look for preliminary steps. 

(11)Fan (includes cable) 926724-001

You can get it by Saturday:

https://www.amazon.com/Artidux-Replacement-Cooling-17-X000-Compatible/dp/B07PYPFMBH/ref=sr_1_3?dchil...

In my experience you are looking at upwards of 95% chance the problem is a bad fan. It happens not too often, but regularly. The other thing it could be is a bad sensor on the motherboard which is a much bigger problem requiring motherboard replacement. If a new fan still throws off the error, it's the sensor. You have to be sure to set the BIOS to default and reboot to clear the 90B Code. Let us know if that is not clear to you. $16 is a good gamble as opposed to several hundred for a new motherboard. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for taking the time and for your assistance in this matter.  I will keep you posted once I go through all of your recommendations. Thanks again and God bless....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.