Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 17.3 inch Laptop PC 17-c0000 (2W0J5AV)

Received error Message: 

Disk is starting to Degrade. New SMART event detected.

Do I need to get a new hard drive????

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

That would be  a wise decision.

Copy everything that is important to an external disk or flash drive as soon as possible.

It is a bit surprising to hear of an SSD failure. They usually last far longer than their electromechanical counterparts.

NVMe™ M.2 SSD is the specification for compatible replacements

Online guaranteed compatible source for replacement M.2 SSD. There is always NewEgg,com and Amazon.com as well.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/swdetails/hp-pavilion-15-n200-notebook-pc-series/model/6867322/...

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

@erico is correct. The SDD needs to be replaced if it is bad.

Some of those 17-c laptops came with a second drive that is mechanical.  It would be named "D" or "E" and could possibly be repaired by using the windows disk repair tool.  Try running the win11 disk repair tool to fix it. Select the C drive (or D or E) and then "Tools"

BeemerBiker_0-1715443037323.png

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Back up your important files to an external, storage device as soon as possible.

One thing you do need to do, according to Intel,  is disable Intel Optane Memory.  

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056921/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-m...

Boot to Windows, login and type Intel Optane in the search box. 

Click on Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management.

In the Window that opens you will see a status that will tell you if your storage system is operating normally.

Mine is and there is a green checkmark that lets me know that all is good.

I suggest clicking on settings in the menu to the left and enabling Automatic rebuild on hot plug. 

You may need to disable and then enable Intel Optane Memory and storage management to resolve the issue. See the Intel web document at the hyperlink below for instructions on how to do that.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024626/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-m...

Click on the Intel Optane Memory tab to the left.

Click on the blue Disable Optane memory button , restart your laptop, open the Intel Optane Memory and Storage app again and enable Optane Memory.

Disabling the Intel Optane Memory will; take a few minutes. I am glad you brought this issue to our attention.

I have never seen it before in the forum.

My own Spectre x360 -13 laptop also needs to have the Intel Optane Memory disabled and enabled to improve the laptop's performance. I am doing it at this very moment.

I am creating a recovery disk on an external hard drive just in case I have to install Windows  11 again. I don't want to lose my files or desktop organization style.

Edit

The recovery file creation  process is still not complete. My SSD is 512 GB and I am at the 2+ hour mark.

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.