Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion AL033TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cannot find in the soft copy of the documentation that comes with my new PC anything about how to open up the casing of the PC and how to expand the memory.

Accofding to spec, it consists of 8 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB).  I would like to add another 8GB of memory.  I have found the following part selling:

HP 8GB 2133MHz DDR4 Memory Part Number : T7B77AA

First, I do not know the Pavilion model memory is expandable. I cannot find any documentation nor google search.

Secondly, if it can be expanded, I need guidance on how to open the casing and how to insert the memory.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Model is 14-al033tx.

Your Service Manual

Two SODIMM slots, non-accessible/non-upgradeable

See p. 36. So, the correct answer is you are not supposed to open it. HP reserves the right to void the warranty if you do. 

However, it is not the most difficult model to open and access the memory slots and it will take 2 x 8 gig modules for a total of 16 gigs. But you are on your own warranty-wise if you decide to use self-help. Let us know if there are any more questions. You can also do a little better than $140 on an 8 gig DDR4-2133 memory module. Where do you live (country)? We can help with that, too. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Model is 14-al033tx.

Your Service Manual

Two SODIMM slots, non-accessible/non-upgradeable

See p. 36. So, the correct answer is you are not supposed to open it. HP reserves the right to void the warranty if you do. 

However, it is not the most difficult model to open and access the memory slots and it will take 2 x 8 gig modules for a total of 16 gigs. But you are on your own warranty-wise if you decide to use self-help. Let us know if there are any more questions. You can also do a little better than $140 on an 8 gig DDR4-2133 memory module. Where do you live (country)? We can help with that, too. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer,

Really appreciate your quick reply.

You mentioned that there are  two SODIMM slots, non-accessible/non-upgradeable  and is expandable to 16gigs. That means only one one slot has been taken by the 8gigs DDR that that comes as the standard; there is  a spare slot to add another 8gigs.

I live in Singapore.

In order not to void the warranty, that means I better bring my PC to the hp technical support here to ge them to help me with the upgrade.

My main concern was whether it was expandable to 16gig and you have addressed my concern.

Thanks for your help. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer,

I am very thankful of your help, just that you are in the US and I am in Singapore.

I just called up the local support centre number. It was picked up by the support staff in India. It was a a let-down. I was told that I would have to pay for the service of having a hp engineer to do the upgrade for me, apart from the memory which I am paying.  I told the person in India that I am prepared to bring my PC down to the support centre in Singpapore. He was helpless, but at least he gave me the service number in Singapore.

I made a call but got a system response from the telephone company that the number given is not in use. 😞

I am now stuck. I can't do the upgrade myself without voiding the warranty. I can't get hp support to help me to put in the memory which I am buying wihtou paying for additional service charge.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help. I think somewhere the process is broken; not customer oriented.

HP Recommended

The warranty is apparently not worth much to you anyway. If you just do not want to do the upgrade yourself I would take it to a local computer shop of which there must be many in Singapore and let them do the upgrade. I would buy the memory and take it in with me. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for you advice. I think I would buy memory from those shops and they woudl do it for free.

HP Recommended

Possibly worth a try but the memory is very particular as to compatibility. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.