Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion cs1960nd notebook.
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

My name is Michael. I have a HP Pavillion cs1960nd notebook. My notebook has two 4GB Micron 2667MHz memory units. However, because I am using multiple (heavy) programs simultaneously, I am noticing that this requires a substantial amount of my RAM memory (about 80-90%). Therefore, I would like to expand my RAM memory. I have several questions:

- What is the maximum amount of RAM memory that my notebook can handle?
- Am I correct in assuming that my notebook is only compatible with DDR4 SODIMM?
- What is the maximum Mhz that my laptop is capable of handling? 
- Is it wise to buy two identical RAM memory units (for instance: 2 x 8 GB) instead of buying one 16GB RAM memory unit? Or does this not matter?
- What is the influence of "CAS Latency"?
- Which brands have a good reputation in terms of RAM memory?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Kind regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the Crucial memory report for your notebook.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | pavilion 15-cs series | Pavilion 15-cs1960nd | Crucial.com

According to the report you can install up to 2 x 16 GB of DDR4 memory.

According to the specs I could find regarding your notebook it has an Intel i5-8265U processor, which means the max speed it can run the memory at is 2400 MHz.

Intel® Core™ i5-8265U Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz) Product Specifications

So any memory you install that is faster than 2400 MHz is going to run at 2400 MHz.

Below is the link to the service manual...the service manual indicates the max memory is 2 x 8 GB, but the Crucial report is usually right.

You can probably go conservative and upgrade to 2 x 8 GB of DDR4 memory unless you want to spend the extra money on 2 x 16 GB which might be overkill.

Crucial memory is made by Micron so it should work just fine.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Pavilion 15 Laptop PC

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the Crucial memory report for your notebook.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | pavilion 15-cs series | Pavilion 15-cs1960nd | Crucial.com

According to the report you can install up to 2 x 16 GB of DDR4 memory.

According to the specs I could find regarding your notebook it has an Intel i5-8265U processor, which means the max speed it can run the memory at is 2400 MHz.

Intel® Core™ i5-8265U Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz) Product Specifications

So any memory you install that is faster than 2400 MHz is going to run at 2400 MHz.

Below is the link to the service manual...the service manual indicates the max memory is 2 x 8 GB, but the Crucial report is usually right.

You can probably go conservative and upgrade to 2 x 8 GB of DDR4 memory unless you want to spend the extra money on 2 x 16 GB which might be overkill.

Crucial memory is made by Micron so it should work just fine.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Pavilion 15 Laptop PC

HP Recommended

Hi Paul_Tikkanen,

Thank you for your quick response and for your excellent answers! I have just ordered two Crucial 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM RAM memory slots.

Regards,

Michael.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Michael.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.