Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Omen-15 ax000ne
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought this laptop 3 years back and since then there were FPS drop issues for heavy games (like GTA 5, Far Cry 4) and I couldn't find any solution for fps drops in a GTX-965M powered laptop. Recently, I got to see many similar problems faced by customer and I found a possible solution from there, that is, the power adapter I received with this laptop is a 120W one, whereas it is supposed to be 150W one for the GTX-965M, but when I visited the product page, it still says it uses a 120W power adapter. So I'm in a big confusion, should I upgrade my power adapter to 150W or isn't that the solution? My drivers are all up to date and for small games (like CoD: MW 2007)  there aren't any issues. Thanks for any help!

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@harenamal

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

After reading your post, I did go through the Product specifications of your product and found that you have  120 W AC power adapter shipped with this PC.

To get the answer to this question,  HP does not recommend upgrading or downgrading hardware parts or software that is bundled with the product as It may affect the performance, however, you could change the configuration at your own discretion.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

But I have heard that the GTX 965M requires a power supply of 150W. And why do these FPS drops occur? Have you checked similar issues with others, because there are a few others with the same issue and people suggesting that HP might have mistakenly given 120W power adapter with the omen with GTX 965.

HP Recommended

@harenamal
Thank you for posting back. 

To get the answer to this question,  due to compatibility of GTX 965M power supply which needs 150W the fps drops. 
HP does not recommend to use parts or hardware as they are not tested by HP and may not be accurate. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Recently I have read other similar problems in the HP forums and many where saying HP gave the wrong chargers to the earlier HP Omen models. And GTX 965 requires 150W. Could you please go in detail and help me with the issue?

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/HP-Omen-FPS-Drop-every-time/td-p/6608125

HP Recommended

@harenamal  Unfortunately what the HP rep isnt aware of, is that HP had made a mistake when the first models of that series rolled out. HP was replacing those wrong adapters for users. Page 25 reflects a change to the manual that indicates the 150w adapter for the 965 card.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05357609

Capture.JPG

But because of the timeline that HP did the recall, I doubt Support will swap adapters for you now.

In other words, too much time has passed.

You will have no choice but to find another adapter for your laptop, 3rd party or not. Many users had no problems with other adapters when this issue was first brought up almost 4 years ago.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick response!  @Photoray002 

But I have also gone through several forum posts in HP and nobody actually found an increase in performance after upgrading to 150 W and also read in one of the forums that the maximum the laptop uses is 118 W, I also heard that it's the problem with the HP Custom Graphics Driver which is very outdated and need to be changed by updating manually from the Intel website. I guess the 150 W adapter is for the 17 inch variants of Omen.

I just updated the Intel Graphics Driver now, and while playing Far Cry 5, I'm getting an FPS of 50-60 in Normal Settings. Is it alright based on my device specifications? Thanks for any help!

HP Recommended

OK you just PM'd me asking if your power adapter was the correct wattage and if you could change it with a third party power supply and linked this thread.  So I answered your question here.

"nobody actually found an increase in performance after upgrading to 150 W"

Wrong, the 150w power adapter does make a difference and was proven so when this issue first happened 4 years ago.

You will "or" will not see an issue with FPS drops "depending on the demand of the the particular game" you play.

You need to also verify your system is using the NVIDIA Card and not the Intel graphics during game play also. You would do that in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

"the HP Custom Graphics Driver which is very outdated and need to be changed by updating manually from the Intel website."

If you are having driver issues, that is a separate problem. The Intel drivers can be updated... Link, but does not update an NVIDIA Graphics Card.

If your NVIDIA Graphics Card is having driver issues and the HP download is now far out of date:

1. create a Windows Restore Point.

2. use the drivers from NVIDIA's website directly and test it. This is the latest NVIDIA says will work at the moment of my writing this... https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/159092

IF you do use the NVIDIA driver from the NVIDIA website, your switchable graphics option may or may not appear anymore.

That is all I can offer.

HP Recommended

@Photoray002 Are you sure 150 W is required for Omen 15 and not just only Omen 17? and if that's the case HP is supposed to replace the power adapter for me right? Could you help me with the replacement?

HP Recommended

The manual page I highlighted above, is from the manual for the 15 inch models. 😉

I cannot help with the replacement unfortunately. I am not an employee. I just know that a while back, another user had this issue and he couldn't get it replaced for free as too much time had passed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.