Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 14-ce0023nl
Linux

Hello everyone,

I just bought this really good laptop and it seems a bit noisy.

I don't really know the normal noise level for this laptop, but this high pitched fan noise is quite annoying.

I've read that it could be some dust, but I've just bought it, so it seems unlikely.

I've disabled the Fan always on option in the BIOS, but I'm not sure if it's the best solution, and above all if it's supposed to sound like this.

Can someone give me some advice?

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@JackLilhammers To resolve issues such as Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly:

• Updating your Notebook computer BIOS
  • Keeping notebook air vents clear and clean
  • Increasing the efficiency of the notebook to reduce heat
  • Using Windows Task Manager to identify corrupt processes
  • Selecting power save settings to shut off your computer when it is not in use

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(If you've recently purchased the device, please check with the store for a replacement as you would have a 15-30 day replacement option depending on the store you've purchased it from).

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I already updated to the latest BIOS. It's the first and only thing I did with Windows, before wiping the ssd to install Linux.

Anyway the noise stays the same across different operating systems: Windows, Ubuntu, and Manjaro

Tomorrow I'm blowing the airflow vents with a compressed air duster.

@Riddle_Decipher I'll keep you posted, thank you!

HP Recommended

@JackLilhammers Alright, take your time and keep us posted with the results!

P.S: HP doesn't recommend using any other operating system other than windows as we don't support the others as of now.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello again @Riddle_Decipher, I'm sorry for taking so long to answer, but I've forgotten to.
Long story short I've sent it to customer service twice and they just replaced the cpu fan, which didn't yield significant improvements in the noise.

It's clear that the repairs do not test enough their work and that this is not an issue with the cpu fan alone.
Now I'm not sending it back a third time just to have the cpu fan pointlessly replaced again.
I'm using the laptop because I need it, but I'm trying to sell it to someone who isn't bothered by the whistling noise.
At the end I must say that I'm quite disappointed, though the customer service was always nice.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.