Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Notebook HP 250 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have Windows 10 64 bit installed, but in order to run some old softwares I wanted to also install Windows XP as dual boot.

It runs into blue screens of death everytime it tries to access the HDD and as I found out later, it's because my driver is set to SATA AHCI (with no options in the BIOS to set it to IDE or disable AHCI).

I then discovered about slipstreaming drivers onto a Windows iso, but (after multiple attempts and failed burned CDs) I can't seem to find the correct driver.

In device manager, under Controller IDE ATA/ATAPI, it only specifies the controller: Controller AHCI SATA Standard, of which its driver is manifactured by Microsoft.

Its hardware IDs are:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_22A3&SUBSYS_80C5103C&REV_21
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_22A3&SUBSYS_80C5103C
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_22A3&CC_010601
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_22A3&CC_0106

What driver do I need to slipstream in order to continue the Windows XP installation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The drive controller setting cannot be changed from AHCI to IDE.

If you have to run WXP, then you will have to get an older notebook with an Intel series 7 chipset and 3rd gen core processor.

That was the last Intel platform that could run WXP.

The older equivalent to your model was the 250 G1.

https://system.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=225260&c=975687&h=8b80c898685e5aa9666c&_xd=T&_xt=...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately the chipset your notebook has is too new to run XP.

Intel did not develop a SATA AHCI controller driver for it.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick response.

I have just one more question:

should I be able to switch the driver to IDE, would I be able to install XP?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The drive controller setting cannot be changed from AHCI to IDE.

If you have to run WXP, then you will have to get an older notebook with an Intel series 7 chipset and 3rd gen core processor.

That was the last Intel platform that could run WXP.

The older equivalent to your model was the 250 G1.

https://system.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=225260&c=975687&h=8b80c898685e5aa9666c&_xd=T&_xt=...

HP Recommended

Unfortunately I know it can't be changed, I was just asking in the hypothetical, if someone somehow manged to mod the bios to allow such a thing, since a SATA driver should in theory be able to run in IDE, as far as I know.

I will try a modded universal AHCI driver and if even that doesn't work I guess I'll just go back to virtual machines.

Thanks anyway.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That I wouldn't know.

It would never occur to me to try such a thing.

I keep an old notebook around with XP on it when I need to use XP for something.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.