Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 Convertible 15-DS0502NA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I purchased my laptop in April 2020 from Curry's PC World so it's still under warranty. I have been having issues for several months now with the fingerprint scanner on the laptop not working so I tried to reset it and now Windows Hello won't let me set it up.

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers through the HP driver download and Windows Update, neither work. I have installed every version of Windows 10 that my laptop supports on the driver page and installed each driver, restarted and still it's failing to allow me to add it. At first it would let me go through set up asking for a pin, then when it came to scanning my finger I would do it 5 times then it would say "Sorry something went wrong please try again later". 

As a last resort I downloaded a HP hardware diagnostic tool, installed on a USB and ran from set up which recongised the fingerprint scanner and came back with no issues so the issue is with Windows it seems.

There was a recent driver update for it but this fails to work and now the fingerprint option shows as unavailable and is greyed out. Will I need to return the laptop?

Thanks for any help.

I'm trying to add screenshots but they're not showing when posting for some reason.

1.png2.png3.png4.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi@nathderbyshire, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Thank you for posting your query on HP Support Community,

Let's try some troubleshooting steps now.

Step 1: Uninstall the Fingerprint reader software.
Click on the Ask Me Anything box beside the Start button.
Type Device Manager and open device manager from the search results.
Under the Biometric category, right-click on anything which is listed and select Uninstall.
Step 2: Restart the PC.
Step 3: Please download the latest Fingerprint reader software from this link.
Step 4: Install the software and configure your fingerprint.

Install the latest printer fingerprint drivers from this link. Click Here

Also, try the steps recommended below.

Step 1. Use the Windows shortcut keysWin + R to launch the Run.

Step 2. Type “gpedit.msc” and then hit the Enter.

Step 3. Expand Computer Configuration and then go to Administrative Templates -> Windows Components –> Biometrics.

Step 4. Double-click it and then open the Allow the use of biometrics setting.

Step 5. Tick the Enabled option.

Step 6. Click the Apply and then OK.

Step 7. Apply the modification one more time to the Allow users to log on using biometrics setting.

Step 8. Restart your computer and let the modification take effect.

If the issue still persists uninstall the fingerprint drivers from device manager and install the drivers using HP recovery manager and check if it helps.

Refer to this article to know how to restore drivers using HP recovery manager.

You may also refer to this support document for - HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting a Fingerprint Reader (Windows 

Let me know how it goes for further assistance!

Keep me posted. Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi@nathderbyshire, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Thank you for posting your query on HP Support Community,

Let's try some troubleshooting steps now.

Step 1: Uninstall the Fingerprint reader software.
Click on the Ask Me Anything box beside the Start button.
Type Device Manager and open device manager from the search results.
Under the Biometric category, right-click on anything which is listed and select Uninstall.
Step 2: Restart the PC.
Step 3: Please download the latest Fingerprint reader software from this link.
Step 4: Install the software and configure your fingerprint.

Install the latest printer fingerprint drivers from this link. Click Here

Also, try the steps recommended below.

Step 1. Use the Windows shortcut keysWin + R to launch the Run.

Step 2. Type “gpedit.msc” and then hit the Enter.

Step 3. Expand Computer Configuration and then go to Administrative Templates -> Windows Components –> Biometrics.

Step 4. Double-click it and then open the Allow the use of biometrics setting.

Step 5. Tick the Enabled option.

Step 6. Click the Apply and then OK.

Step 7. Apply the modification one more time to the Allow users to log on using biometrics setting.

Step 8. Restart your computer and let the modification take effect.

If the issue still persists uninstall the fingerprint drivers from device manager and install the drivers using HP recovery manager and check if it helps.

Refer to this article to know how to restore drivers using HP recovery manager.

You may also refer to this support document for - HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting a Fingerprint Reader (Windows 

Let me know how it goes for further assistance!

Keep me posted. Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Screenshot 2021-01-22 073051.pngHi thanks for the quick reply. The second solution solved it when I was digging through. While all the options were set to not configured it was still disabled by default even on fresh installs. I have had to edit a bunch of registries to gain access to features again but I'm not sure why this is the case, but at least for now this is solved thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.